Grilled Bacon Wrapped Shrimp with Romesco Sauce
Crazy easy Grilled Bacon Wrapped Shrimp recipe is the perfect light dinner or simple appetizer for summer. Quick to make with just a few ingredients and less than 30 minutes, a go-to meal option when time is tight.
When the summertime comes….gimme all the seafood recipes. Bonus points if they’re on the grill because nothing is more of a buzzkill than a sink filled with dishes on a summer night. So, I like to find things I can cook up quickly without much fuss, or many dishes, so I can relax with the family after a leisurely meal.
These Grilled Bacon Wrapped Shrimp kabobs are one of my favorite things to cook because you only have one bowl to clean. The marinade is pure and simple, made with ingredients you have in your pantry. And the bacon just adds to the flavor of the shrimp lending a smoky, salty vibe that’s nothing short of addicting.
The best part about this recipe is that they’re made on the grill. If you haven’t guessed already. So, that means no pans to clean or a stovetop to wipe down. Just cook your grilled shrimp kabobs and you can sit down to eat without a care or dirty dish in the world.
GRILLED BACON WRAPPED SHRIMP
If you’re looking for a great party recipe or just a simple dinner at home, Grilled Bacon Wrapped Shrimp Skewers are just what you need. Served with a tangy Romesco Sauce, this easy shrimp recipe is ready in less than 30 minutes.
The grilled shrimp marinade is simple and made with just four ingredients. It’s spiced perfectly and doesn’t even need to be marinated for a long period of time. You can even just toss the shrimp in the marinade right before cooking if time is tight.
The shrimp is wrapped in par-cooked bacon before being threaded on bamboo skewers. You can do this step up to 24 hours in advance if you’re planning to serve for a party or on a busy weeknight.
Grilled quickly, this flavor packed shrimp is tender, juicy and perfect every time.
HOW TO MAKE GRILLED SHRIMP KABOBS
Grilled Bacon Wrapped Shrimp is super easy to make and doesn’t take much time at all.
Peel and devein the shrimp, unless using shrimp that’s already peeled and deveined.
Whisk together the marinade ingredients.
Pour the marinade over the shrimp and allow to sit for 20-30 minutes.
Cook the bacon in the microwave on a microwave safe plate for 2-3 minutes until slightly cooked but still pliable. (You can also bake the bacon for 5 minutes in the oven.)
Pat the bacon dry with a paper towel.
Cut the bacon slices in half.
Wrap one half of the bacon around the shrimp.
Thread the shrimp on a skewer and repeat until you have three shrimp on a skewer.
Cook the shrimp on the grill for 4-5 minutes until bacon is crisp and the shrimp is cooked through.
Transfer to a platter and serve with romesco sauce for dipping.
WHAT IS ROMESCO SAUCE
If you’re wondering what Romesco Sauce is…..it’s a tomato-based sauce that originated from Valls, Tarragona, Catalonia. Catalan fishermen made this sauce to be eaten with fish. It’s, most often, made from any mixture of roasted tomatoes and garlic, toasted almonds, pine nuts or hazelnuts, olive or sunflower oil, and roasted peppers.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH GRILLED SHRIMP
We love to serve our Grilled Bacon Wrapped Shrimp alongside a refreshing salad like this Chickpea salad that’s loaded with fresh vegetables! You can also serve it with a light and easy cucumber salad or pile it high on top of a bowl of Cilantro Lime Rice.
If you’re not a fan of Romesco Sauce, we also love serving it with a big bowl of this easy Tzatzkiki Sauce. It’s light, fresh flavor cuts the fattiness of the bacon perfectly.
MORE EASY SHRIMP RECIPES
If you love this recipe as much as we do, you should also try this super quick Shrimp and Cheesy Grits! It’s my cheater way to get comfort food on the table in not time flat. Or try this simple Shrimp Étouffée.…it’s full of zingy flavor and is ready in just 30 minutes.
Get the Recipe: Grilled Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 lb thin sliced bacon, cut in half
- 1 cup romesco sauce
- 8-10 bamboo skewers
- Preheat grill.
- Soak the skewers in water for 30 minutes or longer.
- Place the shrimp in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon zest, garlic powder, chili powder, cayenne pepper and salt.
- Pour the marinade over the shrimp. Allow to marinade for 20-30 minutes.
- Place the bacon on a microwave safe plate and cover with a paper towel. Cook at high power for 2 minutes or until the bacon is partially cooked and still pliable. Remove from the microwave and allow to cool. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- Wrap one half of a bacon slice around the shrimp and thread on the skewer making sure the bacon is secure at both ends so it doesn't fall off. Repeat with the remaining shrimp so there's three shrimp to a skewer.
- Place the shrimp on the grill and cook for 3 minutes over high heat.
- Flip the shrimp over and cook for an additional 3 minutes until the bacon is crisp and the shrimp are fully cooked.
- Transfer the shrimp to a plate and serve with the romesco sauce.