Grilled Fajita Nachos
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by VELVEETA®. All opinions are my own.
Smokey cedar planks are the perfect backdrop for these easy Grilled Fajita Nachos. Chicken, steak, peppers and onions are all piled onto crisp tortilla chips and topped with creamy, melty VELVEETA®. The perfect snack for summer and tailgating season.
Nachos for dinner. It’s pretty simple. I have had a pile of nachos for dinner countless times. My obsession began when I lived in a tiny suburban apartment with my daughter and I was too exhausted to make dinner. I’d pop a plateful of tortilla chips into the microwave topped with cheese and nuke it until it was a melty, cheesy plate of heaven. Best dinner ever.
Then I started playing around with my cheesy chips. I’d top them with whatever I had leftover in the fridge….chicken, taco beef, fish…sometimes we’d have a winner and other times…we’d order takeout. The winners always made their way into our weekly rotation with fajita nachos making frequent appearances. They’re the best toppings for nachos because they’re already full of spice, so the flavor is already there. But with anything that you do (or eat) repetitively, a twist is always needed just to keep things interesting.
That’s when I decided that nachos….they needed to be grilled. They needed a little extra smokiness that an oven can’t offer. And they needed some liquid gold in the form of VELVEETA®. Grilled Fajita Nachos are cooked entirely on the grill with the help of a cedar grill plank. You can pick these up pretty much anywhere these days…hardware stores, grocery stores and kitchen supply stores all sell them during the summer months. They can be used over and over again, so think of it as a small investment….and a beautifully rustic serving board.
Quick and easy, Grilled Fajita Nachos take less than an hour to make…that includes the marinating time. I used my Easy Fajita Seasoning Mix with a little oil and water for the marinade, threw everything into a zip top bag and waited not so patiently for 15 minutes. You can marinate longer and that will only enhance the flavor, but I was hungry…I needed to eat. Five ingredients (and a few staples like water and oil) plus VELVEETA® is all you’ll need. If you’re in a real hurry and don’t want to make your own fajita seasoning, a commercial seasoning mix will work well too.
Grilled Fajita Nachos would pair perfectly with a side of Spicy Pineapple Guacamole and if you’re feeling especially adventurous in the kitchen, my Spicy Cumin Dusted Tortilla Chips would be ahhhhhmazing as the base. Great for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Really. Yes…breakfast.
Grilled Fajita Nachos
Try these amazing grilled fajita nachos!
- 8 ounces skirt steak
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 red onion sliced
- 2 bell peppers sliced
- 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 16-20 to rtilla chips
- 3 ounces VELVEETA® brick cut into thin slices
- 2 cedar grill planks
- Preheat grill.
- Place the steak, chicken, onion, peppers, fajita seasoning, oil and water in a large zip top bag and seal. Using your hands, mash around the ingredients in the bag to mix well. Allow to marinate for 15 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Cook the steak, chicken, onion and peppers on the grill over high heat, approximately 5-7 minutes. Turn the steak and chicken over, continue cooking until done. Approximately 2-3 minutes. Transfer the steak, chicken, onion and peppers to a platter and cover to keep warm. Place the cedar planks on the grill and cook for 3 minutes. While the planks are warming, slice the steak and chicken into thin strips across the grain.
- Turn the planks over and top with tortilla chips. Arrange the steak, chicken, onions and peppers on top of the chips. Place the VELVEETA® evenly over the nachos and close the grill. Turn the heat to low and cook until the VELVEETA® has melted.
- Remove from the grill and serve immediately. Top with cilantro, jalapeno, tomatoes and sour cream if desired.
Please add additional time to marinade.
VELVEETA® lovers know it as Liquid Gold, and it has been a favorite of families since 1928. Known for its smooth, creamy texture and perfect melt, you can use VELVEETA® in a variety of recipes – and strike Liquid Gold.