Homemade Fajita Seasoning
Skip the seasoning packets at the store loaded with preservatives and other unknown ingredients and make this simple Fajita Seasoning Mix at home. Just a few flicks of a whisk and you’re ready to season everything from chicken to veggies.
I feel guilty posting this “recipe” that’s not really a recipe. I mean, it’s only a few ingredients thrown into a bowl and whisk together to combine. And that’s all. There’s no cooking, no waiting, no eggs. It’s just a seasoning mix.
But what’s missing from this “recipe that’s not a recipe” are preservatives and other stuff that I didn’t know I was eating in the fajita seasoning packets. It’s good to know what you’re putting in your body.
This Homemade Fajita Seasoning recipe is simple and quick. You can prepare a big batch of this easy seasoning to use as a base for your fajita marinade. It works well to make fajita veggies, chicken, pork or beef and it comes together in just minutes.
Ingredients You Will Need
The ingredient list looks long but I can guarantee you will have most, if not all, of these items in your pantry. Homemade Fajita Seasoning has been right in your kitchen the whole time!
- Cornstarch – It’s used to help the spice stick to the food and thicken up the marinade just a bit when water is added.
- Chili Powder – I like Ancho Chili Powder but you can use your favorite.
- Salt – Kosher Salt works best here because of the larger grains.
- Paprika – I prefer smoked paprika but you can use whatever you have on hand.
- Granulated Sugar
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Ground Cumin
How To Make It
I’ve been making my own Fajita Seasoning Mix for years and have been keeping it a big secret. So, the guilt goes both ways here…one, I never shared my secret with you and two, this is the easiest thing in the world to make. I can guarantee, once you make this easy DIY Fajita Seasoning you’ll never buy it at the store again.
- Add all the ingredients to the bowl.
- Whisk together until combined.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 months.
Can I make this without cornstarch?
I did a little research before I created my own blend and there were several versions with/without cornstarch. I made both and decided….if you use the Fajita Seasoning Mix as a marinade like I do, the cornstarch is helpful in making the spices stick to the food a little better.
You can definitely make it without, especially if you’re just using it as a spice or flavor enhancer.
Fresh is Best
Be sure to use the best spices you can so the flavors are bright and bold. And when you’re grilling chicken or steak, this creates a great crust on the exterior of your food. So, friends, get your whisks ready because you’re going to want to have this stockpiled in your spice cabinet.
How To Use It
- Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas
- Fajita Style Chicken Quesadilla Recipe
- Chicken Fajita Stuffed Avocado with Honey Chipotle Cream
- Grilled Chicken Fajitas
More Easy Spice Recipes
For more easy Fajita recipe ideas, follow us on Instagram and Facebook!
Get the Recipe: Fajita Seasoning Mix
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients until thoroughly combined. Store the mix in an airtight container until ready to use. Recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.
3 Comments on “Homemade Fajita Seasoning”
Hello I was just wondering when using this mix what is the cooking time? You said you use this as a marinade? Thanks
Your work is excellent.
I am from the south of Iran. I am a spice maker and enjoyed of your work. I did your composition according to your order and it was satisfying. Thank you.
Thank you so much!