Ham Cheddar and Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
Easy, cheesy and light…this Ham, Cheddar and Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole is so simple to whip up for brunch. Perfect for a crowd and not loaded with calories, perfect with a colorful fruit salad.
Five days left….the countdown is on. Who’s excited? Who’s stressed? Who’s tired? I’ve been trying to pack in every ounce of Christmas I can the past couple of weeks. Friday night we trekked all the way to Hershey, PA to see Trans-Siberian Orchestra….it was cold. Finally….untimely cold and wind swept through the region just in the nick of time to make the evening festive…and frigid while we stood in line waiting to go through the metal detectors. Yep, metal detectors…nothing like a quick pat down to take the jolly out of the season. Anyway….it was awesome! Worth the traffic and travel and usual nonsense that comes with attending a concert.
It’s been a long while since I’ve been to a concert so I was REALLY excited to go. But the next day, I was wiped out. We got home around 12:30 AM and then I finally fell asleep around 2. And THEN Landon gets up with the sun so I was out of bed by 6….so, maybe 4 hours of sleep. AND, since I’m not 21 anymore, that sleep deficit caught up with me around noon. Long story short…I was in be again by 7:30 and I may have fallen asleep on the sofa before that…I don’t remember.
But this morning, I feel refreshed and wide awake, ready to start my day. I’m watching Miracle on 34th Street (BEST “feel good” Christmas movie ever.) and enjoying a healthy breakfast….this Ham, Cheddar and Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole is simply amazing. All your favorite breakfast items packed into one easy to make dish perfect for holiday brunch. I like to serve it with this winter fruit salad and a sparkling cocktail. Today….I’m having coffee….but that’s because I’m still nursing the late night hangover from Friday.
This Ham, Cheddar and Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole is really easy to whip up, you can make it in advance if you’d like but it takes no time at all to put together. Very similar to this Monte Cristo Breakfast Casserole but using frozen hash browns instead of bread. I used a Smithfield ham steak diced up to add flavor without bulking up on calories and then loaded it with sautéed peppers, onions and cheese. Completely amazing and your family or friends will love that they don’t have to change into stretchy pants after eating.
Ham, Cheddar and Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 vidalia onion diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced
- 1- 8 ounce boneless ham steak diced
- 1 - 30 ounce package frozen shredded hash browns thawed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups low fat milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Add the onions and cook until softened. Stir in the peppers and sauté 2-3 minutes. Add the ham and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Gently stir in the hash browns and cheese.
- Spread the hash brown mixture in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the hash browns. Bake the casserole for 50-55 minutes or until puffy, golden and firm in the center.
- Serve immediately.