Homemade Molasses Cookies are easy to make and so deliciously chewy! A blend of warm spices create the best cozy flavor that pairs perfectly with the sweet molasses. Make these for your Thanksgiving dessert or for your next Christmas cookie exchange!
Molasses cookies are one of my all-time favorites (and I have a seriously long list of favorite cookie recipes). Thanks to the star ingredient, these cookies are deliciously sweet and chewy! They’re pretty perfect for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. Whether you serve them after your big turkey day feast or leave them out for Santa, they’ll be a huge hit.
Besides the sweet molasses, the flavor here is also created by a medley of warm fall spices. Cinnamon, cloves, and ground ginger come together to create the best depth that balances the sweetness perfectly. If you really want to send these cookies right over the top, mix in a little bit of chopped candied ginger… It’s a secret ingredient that makes this molasses cookie recipe the very best!
While this cookie recipe may be from scratch, it’s really very easy to whip up in no time. It’s as easy as whisking the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet in another, then combining it all to make cookie dough. Let it chill, roll the dough in crunchy sugar, bake and enjoy! It’s a great low-stress recipe to utilize during the hectic holiday season.
The flavor mimics that of my favorite Gingersnaps but with a much softer and chewier crumb.
How to Make Molasses Cookies
These cookies come together in no time with simple ingredients and hassle-free steps!
- Whisk the dry ingredients. Whisk together the flour, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, baking soda and salt.
- Mix the wet ingredients. In another bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Then, beat in the molasses and egg until combined.
- Make the cookie dough. Combine the wet and dry ingredients until just combined – careful not to over-mix! Fold in the candied ginger.
- Chill. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap (or a towel) and let the dough chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
- Prepare. Preheat the oven to 375°F. While that’s heating up, line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Add turbinado sugar to a small bowl.
- Roll the cookie dough. Using a cookie scoop (or a spoon), roll about 1 TBSP of dough at a time into balls and roll them in the turbinado sugar. Place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake and cool. Bake for 8-10 minutes, then let them cook on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to fully finish cooling.
Tips for the Best Molasses Cookies
Here’s how to get the very best molasses cookies every time:
- Let the dough chill. This is so important! If you skip this step, your cookies won’t hold their shape very well in the hot oven. The dough must chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour prior to baking.
- Use turbinado sugar. Don’t substitute this with white granulated sugar if you want that perfect crunch on the outside.
- Don’t over-mix the dough. For the very best consistency, mix the wet and dry ingredients until just combined.
- Add candied ginger. This ingredient is optional but highly recommended! Finely chopped candied ginger adds the best touch of flavor that really makes this Christmas cookie recipe a step above the rest.
Wait for the cookies to fully cool prior to storing! Once cooled, they’ll stay fresh in an airtight container for up to 1 week. I don’t recommend keeping them in the fridge, because once they get cold they tend to harden.
Enjoy more of the very best cookie recipes!
Get the Recipe: Molasses Cookie Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar, plus extra for rolling
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup finely chopped candied ginger, optional
- 1 mixer
- 1 large bowl
- 1 small bowl
- 1 cookie sheet
- silicone baking mat
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy and creamy.
- Add in the molasses and egg, continuing to beat until blended.
- Switch the mixer to low and slowly add in the dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in the candied ginger, if using.
- Cover the bowl with a towel or plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking mat. Add the turbinado sugar to a small bowl. Set aside.
- Using a spoon or cookie scoop, roll 1 tablespoon of the dough into a ball and roll in the sugar. Place the cookie dough on the baking sheet approximately 2 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days at room temperature.