Personal Reuben Pizzas and a Revolutionary Pizza Review
All the bold flavors of a Reuben Sandwich transformed into the most unusual pizza ever. If you like a Reuben sandwich you will LOVE this pizza.
Pizza is one of my, all-time, favorite foods. I’m a picky pizza person, though. The crust has to be thin and crispy. There can’t be too much sauce or the cheese will slip off…and I like a lot of cheese….but not too much. 🙂 Then there’s the topping debate, over or under. I like them both ways but then again, it really depends on my mood. I’m not a huge fan of the Chicago deep dish, it’s just too much. Too much stuff and I can never finish even one slice. I’m a New York style fan all the way.
So, when I was asked if I’d like to review a cookbook on pizza…..well, if you know me, that’s a silly question. Why, OF COURSE! And then Revolutionary Pizza by Dimitri Syrkin-Nikolau showed up on my doorstep. YAY!
This book is packed full of every kind of imaginable. Even pizzas that you wouldn’t ever dream of. (Peanut butter, bacon and bananas, anyone?) Page after page was a new discovery, some made me wince but many were totally drool-worthy. Dimitri also includes recipes for sauce and dough with a complete tutorial on basic pizza making skills. Which I needed because I usually just pick up the phone and order my pizza to go.
I thought I would try my hand at recreating my favorite deli sandwich, the Reuben, as a pizza. I’m so glad I did. It was incredible, the flavors tasted exactly like the classic deli sandwich but, in my opinion, a little better. There was less bread….this was a large open-faced sandwich, basically. I LOVED it! I didn’t even miss the rye flavor. Now, a few things about my pizza….to save time I used a store made pizza dough. It worked well with the exception that I didn’t make the pies thin enough for my liking but they were still amazing.
So simple to make once you’re done wrangling the dough into shape, just top with cheese, dressing and corned beef. Pop in the oven for 10 minutes, add the sauerkraut and swiss….test your patience while you wait for the swiss to melt and then dig in. Reuben lovers will crave this pizza. I will crave this pizza. I can’t wait to try some of the other recipes in the book like the BBQ Porkabella and the Fish N Chips pizza! I see a Soapbox pizza party in the near future. 🙂
Personal Reuben Pizzas
pizza Friday calls for this personal reuben pizza!
- Dough for one pizza store bought or your favorite recipe
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons pickle relish
- 1/2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 pound shredded corned beef
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut
- 3/4 cup shredded swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Divide dough into four even pieces and shape into a circle. Place the dough on individual pizza pans or on a baking sheet. Top each dough round with even amounts of shredded mozzarella and drizzle the dressing over top. Top the cheese with corned beef and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Turn off the oven and top each pizza with even amounts of sauerkraut and swiss cheese. Close the oven and allow the cheese to melt.
- Serve immediately.