Simple Blueberry Crostata
This Simple Blueberry Crostata has everything you love in a blueberry pie without the hassle of actually making a whole pie. Perfect for picnics or a quick weeknight dessert.
Note: This post has been updated to include new photos as of June 2, 2015.
Original post: This is my 100th post….finally. If I hadn’t stopped and then started…and then stalled, I would have hit this milestone many, many months ago. For those of you that have been following since the beginning and tolerated my grainy food photography…..and then actually MADE the recipes of the item that resembled half eaten pet food….I thank you. Thank you for making The Suburban Soapbox such a wonderful place for me to shout out anything that’s on my mind. I appreciate every comment, like and view recorded since the beginning. I can’t say I haven’t ever experienced frustration and had to will myself to continue but I did and I’m glad that we are all still here. Together…my wonderful internet friends and me.
I had always planned to bake a sprinkle infested cake or make an off the wall cocktail to celebrate my big 100 but instead I fired up my oven on a 95 degree day and made this ridiculously simple Blueberry Crostata. Sometimes life calls for lazy and this was definitely one of those days. I love that it’s just a freeform shape and the juices ran out all over the place. Makes for good photos. 🙂
This is a great dessert for a summer barbecue. (I think that’s the third time I’ve said that this month.) But really…it doesn’t take much time and you can serve it with some vanilla ice cream. It rivals any pie I’ve had recently. Really.
*This post is not sponsored by Pillsbury nor have they provided me with their product. This is just the refrigerated pie crust that I prefer to use when I want to make something quickly. 🙂
Get the Recipe: Simple Blueberry Crostata
- 3 1/2 cups blueberries, washed and drained throughly (I use a salad spinner)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- zest and juice from one large lemon
- 1 ready-made pie crust rolled out into a circle, I used Pillsbury
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the blueberries, flour, sugar, lemon zest and juice thoroughly. Set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and roll out the dough.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar and butter together for the topping using a pastry blender or fork until large clumps form.
- Pour the blueberry mixture into the center of the dough making a mound and leaving a one inch border around the edge of the crust. Crumble the topping mixture over the blueberries evenly. Fold the crust up over the edge of the blueberries pinching to create pleats. Repeat the process until all the edges have been folded up over the blueberries.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet. Transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Can be served warm or at room temperature.