Simple Blueberry Galette
This Simple Blueberry Galette has everything you love in a blueberry pie without the hassle of actually making a whole pie. Perfect for picnics or a quick weeknight dessert.
Summer is the season for all the berries and I can never get enough blueberries, really. During the season, they’re sweet and juicy without much tartness at all making them the perfect filling for pies. But, as some of you know, I’m not the best pie baker because they tend to be a bit fussy so I get the same flavor of my favorite blueberry pie in this easy Blueberry Galette.
A galette, or blueberry crostata, is a free form pie made with flaky pie dough, blueberries, sugar and lemon. Flour is used as a binder to keep those juices from flowing out of the crust. It’s baked up into a perfect summer dessert that is devoured immediately.
We love taking this to parties or as a simple weekend sweet treat.
How To Make It
This Blueberry Galette comes together quickly with either your favorite refrigerated pie crust or my all butter pie crust I make in the food processor.
Combine berries, flour, sugar, lemon zest and juice in a large bowl.
Roll the dough out on a baking sheet lined with parchment.
Pour the blueberries into the center of the dough.
Fold the crust up over the edge of the blueberries to create pleats.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature.
Serve with freshly made whipped cream or topped with ice cream.
How To Serve It
This is a great dessert for a summer barbecue. But really…it doesn’t take much time and you can serve it with some vanilla ice cream. It rivals any pie I’ve had recently. Really.
You can get really creative and top with this Chai Ice Cream, too, which makes it lean more fall flavor. Not a bad thing, in my opinion.
How Long Will It Last
Leftover Blueberry Galette will last about 3 days if covered and refrigerated. You can reheat in the microwave if you want it warm or just enjoy it chilled straight from the fridge.
More Easy Blueberry Recipes
Get the Recipe: Simple Blueberry Crostata
- 3 1/2 cups blueberries, washed and drained throughly (I use a salad spinner)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- zest and juice from one large lemon
- 1 ready-made pie crust rolled out into a circle, I used Pillsbury
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the blueberries, flour, sugar, lemon zest and juice thoroughly. Set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and roll out the dough.
- Pour the blueberry mixture into the center of the dough making a mound and leaving a one inch border around the edge of the crust. Fold the crust up over the edge of the blueberries pinching to create pleats. Repeat the process until all the edges have been folded up over the blueberries.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet. Transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Can be served warm or at room temperature.