Skillet Tortellini with Sausage and Pesto
Cheese Tortellini tossed with Italian sausage, pesto and pine nuts make a flavorful and quick dinner. One skillet cooking makes clean up a breeze.
Carbs are the best! Don’t you agree? They’re even better when stuffed with cheese. Because everything’s better with cheese. And bacon but I didn’t use bacon today. I stepped it up and threw in some sausage. Sausage is my bacon. I love it more than any other pork product out there. Crumbled….linked….patties….it’s all so yum. And quick.
Quick meals are king this time of year, when everyone is forced to adapt to new schedules. Usually busy….very busy. Much different from those lazy days of summer. Summer is still here, but it’s leaving soon. So, I don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen….I want to soak up the sounds of the last remaining crickets at night and cling onto the remnants of summer with clenched fists. So, I whip up dinners that take very little time like Cheeseburger Macaroni Skillet and cheesy Baked Gnocchi Bolognese Skillet.
This dinner is supper quick. Everything is tossed into a skillet, mixed with a bit of basil pesto and then you eat it. You can put it on a plate or just grab a fork. You can throw the skillet on your kitchen table and let everyone fend for themselves OR you can be civilized and give each person their meal on a plate. It’s entirely up to you. How much time do you have on your hands? How much summer do you want to soak in the next few weeks?
Get the Recipe: Skillet Tortellini with Sausage and Pesto
- 1 pound cheese tortellini
- 1 pound mild italian sausage
- 1/2 vidalia onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces pesto sauce
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, cook the tortellini until done, approximately 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is boiling, brown the sausage in a large skillet over med-high heat. Transfer the cooked sausage to a plate using a slotted spoon and drain off all but two tablespoons of fat. Add the onion to the pan and sauté until soft and golden. Add the garlic and cook for one minute. Add the sausage back to the pan and stir to combine. Add the pasta and pesto and toss gently to combine.
- Top with grated parmesan cheese and toasted pine nuts. Serve immediately