Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala Stew
The most amazing slow cooker recipe, ever. This hearty Chicken Marsala Stew will quickly become a family favorite and is ready to eat when you walk in the door after a busy day. Lighter and more heart healthy than many stew recipes, you won’t feel weighed down after eating a bowl. Room for dessert!
According to Facebook, school has started everywhere….but here. It’s still summer in my ‘hood. The kids are still riding their bikes through the neighbors landscaping and sucking every last second out of this incredibly beautiful weather we’ve been having. I know this because I spend a ridiculous amount of time on my driveway. This is Landon’s play place of choice. We have a huge yard with a killer play set but he prefers the sweltering black top of our driveway. I think it’s because he knows if he’s in the front of the house, the neighbor kids will see him and swarm. It’s not a bad plan. It works 90% of the time. But you can’t get much work done while hanging on the driveway. So….sometimes I have to drag him back inside…kicking and screaming. Seriously. It’s a scene. And a reminder that you can’t always be home to cook an amazing meal. Sometimes you need some help. SOMETIMES you need the slow cooker.
I love my slow cooker. It’s pretty swanky as far as slow cookers go, it was my birthday gift last year and I fully intend to use the crap out of it this year. It’s all digital and has lights and beeps. This is a big deal to me because my old one has a high and low setting with a knob, that’s all. It is 22 years old and it still works and I will still use the crap out of that one too….but this new one is like a shiny, new car. It’s the All-Clad 7-Qt Deluxe Slow Cooker. The insert is cast aluminum so I can do all the browning on the stove top and keep all those brown tasty bits in the stew. There’s no transferring of ingredients and I never have a skillet to clean if the recipe calls for browning ingredients, like this one does. If you want to check out my new slow cooker (this is not a paid post…just sharing some of my favorite things with you all) you can get it here.
Back to the stew….we never really got into it but I have to tell you this was a home run as far as recipes go. My husband is still talking about it and if you serve it over egg noodles like I did your kids will dive right in. I don’t know what it is about noodles but my kids are carbaholics. They will eat just about anything if served over pasta. If you’re a fan of Chicken Marsala you will want to stick your face in the steaming vat of slow cooked goodness. Don’t do it. Use a bowl because it’s very, very hot and nobody needs 3rd degree burns before dinner.
Super simple, even with the quick browning of the chicken….don’t skip this step, it’s essential for adding flavor and the flour helps thicken the stew. Just a touch of cream puts this Chicken Marsala Stew in the number 1 spot of favorite slow cooker recipes. Try it out….go to work, or the gym, or shopping or whatever it is you do during your day and then come home and take a bite. Let me know. Am I crazy? Is this not amazing?
Looking for even more easy chicken recipes? Try these favorites!
- Super EASY Oven Baked Chicken Breast
- Extra Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Thighs
- The BEST EVER Chicken Marinade
- Quick and easy Oven Baked Chicken Parmesan
Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala Stew
slow cooker chicken marsala stew is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner!
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 large vidalia onion diced
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 3/4 cup marsala wine
- 15 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or half and half
- In a large bowl, toss the chicken with the flour, salt and pepper until coated.
- In a large skillet, brown the chicken over medium heat until golden working in batches if necessary. Transfer the chicken to the slow cooker and add the onions to the skillet. Cook the onions until soft and add the garlic, cook for 1 minute. Add the marsala wine and scrape all the brown bits off the bottom of the pan with a spoon. Transfer the onion mixture to the slow cooker with the chicken. Add the mushrooms, thyme, oregano and chicken stock to the slow cooker and cover. Cook for 4 hours on high or 7 hours on low.
- Remove the lid and stir in the cream. Allow to cook for 20 minutes until the mixture thickens. Serve immediately over egg noodles, pasta or rice.