Spicy Roasted Pineapple Margarita
Fresh, juicy pineapple is spiced up with a blend of chili pepper and brown sugar before being roasted to a golden perfection. Blended masterfully with tequila, lime juice and a bit of orange to create the best way to toast Cinco de Mayo, the Spicy Roasted Pineapple Margarita.
It’s been a bit of a blue week. I’ll get to the details in a few days when I’m ready to talk about it but I haven’t been able to be in the kitchen much this week and I’m just dying to work off some sadness in the way of comfort food like mac and cheese. Or cake. Lots and lots of cake. But in the meantime, I had to do a little planning for Cinco de Mayo and, as everyone knows, tequila is a pain reliever. Am I right? At least for me, it can lift my spirits a bit. But for some other people….I believe it awakens the devil within. 🙂 Which kind of tequila person are you?
I never really loved to do tequila shots. Well, let me rephrase that….I never EVER loved, or even liked just a tiny bit, to do tequila shots. Or any shot for the matter. If you have to chase your drink with something just to get it down….don’t even bother drinking it. Why not put it in something like a cocktail…mix it up with some fruit, like I did here in this Spicy Roasted Pineapple Margarita. It’s simply genius if you ask me. And frothy, because of the fresh pineapple….like a smoothie. Like a boozy smoothie…and since smoothies are healthy, you can start your day off with a cocktail. See how smart I am?
Apparently, I like to start my day with cocktails because I did it last year for Brunch Week with this Bloody Margarita. A twist on my Palmetto Bloody Mary but made with tequila. So, I needed another Margarita recipe to add to the list and I wanted to go bold with a lot of spice. And since I had all the pineapple lying around from my work with Harry & David, I put it to good use in a drink. And a salsa….but I have to say, I really think you’re going to like this recipe a little more. It will make you SO happy…or SO angry…either way, you will feel all the feels.
Get the Recipe: Spicy Roasted Pineapple Margarita
- 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 5 ounces tequila
- juice of 2 large limes
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- pinch of salt
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spread the pineapple in an even layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment. In a small bowl, whisk together the cayenne and brown sugar. Sprinkle the mixture over the pineapple. Roast for 15-20 minutes or until the pineapple is golden brown.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- When the pineapple is cool, place it in a blender with the tequila, lime juice, orange juice and salt. Puree until smooth. Transfer the mixture to the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Strain the mixture, if desired. (I did not strain, I like to keep the consistency thick like a smoothie.)
- Divide the margarita mixture between four ice filled glasses and serve immediately.