Stir-Fried Beef Peppers and Snow Peas with Cauliflower Rice
Cauliflower Rice makes an amazing substitute for white rice in this healthy, quick stir-fry dinner. Stir-Fried Beef, Peppers and Snow Peas are cooked in minutes and in one skillet, a great meal for busy nights.
I try to keep politics out of here….which is kinda funny because it’s a “soapbox.” But today, I have to share my feelings on something. Something that, it seems, the entire world loves. And devours……are you ready? I hate Zoodles. Don’t know what Zoodles are? They’re those spiraled zucchini noodles that are taking the world, and Pinterest, by storm. I do not like them, (Sam, I am) they make me sad. Now….I’ve had them in salads like this Asian Style Zucchini Noodle Salad and they’re pretty tasty but once you dump a warm sauce on them, all bets are off. I want pasta. Real, carb-filled, gut-busting pasta. I made zucchini noodles last week as a sub for linguini and I couldn’t even eat my dinner. I chose to go hungry instead, which is not something I EVER do.
Now, for the record, I’ve spiraled some pretty fantastic things recently, like the squash in this Chicken and Butternut Noodle Soup. That was good. But zucchini….no. I won’t be doing that again. Cucumbers….yes! But again, no warm or hot sauce on the noodles. We will get more into this later because my Zoodle sadness lasted for days and I’m just recovering now. Life is too short to eat zucchini noodles.
But Cauliflower Rice….that’s a different story. I decide to give the low-carbing another try since I have no self-control when it comes to the starchy goodness of white rice. Cauliflower Rice allowed me to pile my plate high and not feel guilt. And it’s so easy to make, just a few minutes in the food processor and you have a boatload of “rice”. Now….something I need to share. No matter what anybody says, don’t make this in bulk and store it in the fridge. Don’t do it. Your fridge will smell like a garbage truck within hours because you just released a whole mess of gases and then stuffed them into an airtight container. I did make a ton and had to throw half of it out because of the ridiculous stench. Who knew something that tasted so good could smell so foul.
Stir-Fried Beef, Pepper and Snow Peas are the perfect topping for the rice. Filled with a slightly sweet, spicy and gingery flavor, you may need to make a double batch. Quick and easy for dinner but even better for lunch the next day. Flavorful dinner and a “not sad desk lunch” for fine dining in your cubicle…..you will be winning at life. Unless you eat zoodles. Then I can’t help you there.
Get the Recipe: Stir-Fried Beef Peppers and Snow Peas with Cauliflower Rice
- 1/2 head cauliflower, quartered
- 1 1/2 lbs skirt steak, cut across the grain into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1/2 vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups snow peas, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- In a food processor, add the cauliflower and pulse until finely ground, approximately 2-3 minutes. Transfer the rice to a preheated skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil and cook until it starts to lightly brown stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat, cover and keep warm.
- Toss the beef with the cornstarch and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic, ginger, sesame oil, fish sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, hoisin and chili paste. Set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat 1 tablespoon oil over high heat. Add the onions and cook until they begin to brown. Add the peppers and snow peas. Cook for 2 minutes. Push the veggies to the sides of the pan and add the beef to the center. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until cooked through. Add the sauce and stir until thickened.
- Serve the stir-fry over the rice and top with sesame seeds if desired.
9 Comments on “Stir-Fried Beef Peppers and Snow Peas with Cauliflower Rice”
Can’t wait to try this inventive recipe! Thanks
I know your zoodle experience scarred you for life but at least you have cauliflower rice! I’ve made it before too and I thought it was pretty good! Although I’m sure anything would be pretty fantastic when smothered in this delicious stir-fry 😉
I have to admit, I haven’t tried cauliflower rice yet. I LOVE cauliflower so I’m not sure what my hold up is. Need to get on the train soon.
I haven’t heard of cauliflower rice before! I’m certainly going to give it a try because, like you, I simply can’t control myself when eating good old starchy white rice. Especially when it’s paired with something as delicious as your beef stir-fry.
I’m kind of with you on the zoodles-thing. I like them ‘as is’ meaning as another way to prepare zucchini – but they just aren’t a satisfying substitution for pasta! And now I’ve got to try this cauliflower rice!
I have a love/hate relationship with zoodles. I really WANT to love them but I feel like with a warm sauce, they get sort of gloppy and gross. I just can’t. But cauliflower rice, that’s another story. And I definitely want to try it! Especially in this rendition.
zoodles, how can you hate Zoodles?! haha I do like them but they totally don’t compare to pasta. Oh and Cauliflower Rice? How have I never tried anything with Cauliflower Rice. Interested in checking that out!
I’ve been meaning to try cauliflower rice for some time now…but haven’t gotten around to it yet. It really does look awesome, and everybody says it is, so I best get on that. This looks like a super tasty meal – you can just see the flavor in that sauce!