Not your ordinary tortilla chips! These Spicy Cumin Dusted Tortilla Chips take minutes to make and are a great way to spice up your chip bowl.
Freshly made tortilla chips are like a gift from the heavens. Really. Once you’ve had them you will never go back to the commercial variety again. This is a warning….because you are now going to be frying up batches of tortilla chips whenever you have a hankering for chips and guac. Or whenever you have corn tortillas that are going stale and you try to make taquitos but the crack and break apart. That’s what I did…..but I still ate the taquitos because they were pretty amazing.
I first made these chips last year with a seven layer dip…..recipe will be here someday soon, it was a test and the party goers were my unknowing guinea pigs. These Spicy Cumin Dusted Tortilla Chips were also a little experiment and they were a bigger hit than my dip. Which looked like it was barely touched…and I was a little sad because I thought it would be the best thing at the party. The chips, apparently, took that prize and nobody wanted to dip them in anything. They’re that good.
If you never made homemade tortilla chips before, the process couldn’t be easier. Or faster. Yes, they’re fried but I tried this recipe by baking the chips and the results are just not the same. My philosophy on chips…go big or go home. In other words, if you’re going to splurge and eat chips….eat amazingly tasty chips or don’t eat them at all. Once I perfect the baking process and can duplicate this recipe without the fat…I’ll let you know. In the meantime….fry away my little darlings.
Cinco de Mayo is right around the corner and these Spicy Cumin Dusted Tortilla Chips will definitely be on my table along with my Spicy Pineapple Guacamole. They also are incredible with my Cranberry Pomegranate Salsa during the winter for game day.
Spicy Cumin Dusted Tortilla Chips
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 20 corn tortillas cut into quarters
- 4 cups canola oil
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cumin, cayenne, chili powder and salt. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven until it reaches 350 degrees. Cooking in batches, add 3-4 tortillas and fry for 1-2 minutes. Using tongs, flip the tortillas and fry for an additional 1 minute or until they're golden brown and crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with several paper towels and sprinkle with the spice mixture. Repeat until all the tortillas are fried and seasoned.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 24 hours.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 110kcal Calories from fat 100|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 11g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|