Marinated chicken breasts, peppers and onions, grilled quickly and served with corn tortillas make a great weeknight dinner option. So easy to make and with minimal mess, they are simply the BEST chicken fajitas ever.
Have you seen them? The back to school commercials? They’re starting to pop up here and there during your weekly binge-watching sessions of all things Bravo TV. Everyone’s talking about it and it’s going to happen soon…kids everywhere are going back to school and I can hear the squeal of excitement….not from the kids but from moms and dads all over the country. Personally, I have a love/hate relationship with back to school.
While it’s nice to send the kids out of the house for the day and get back to our regularly scheduled program, it comes with some stress…busy schedules, homework, dinner on the run. And dishes, lots of dishes. That’s where the grill still comes in handy during the early school year and it’s still warm outside so why not keep dinners al fresco until it’s so cold it becomes difficult to manage the grill tongs while wearing ski gloves. That’s what we’re doing here. Grilled Chicken Fajitas are made entirely on the grill so there’s not messy pan to clean and no spatter on the stovetop.
My Grilled Chicken Fajitas are amazingly easy to make especially if you already whipped up my easy Fajita Seasoning Mix. This recipe is VERY similar to my Grilled Fajita Nachos….sans nachos. Everything marinades in a resealable bag for a few hours while you’re watching Real Housewives of New York OR while you’re at work…because, let’s face it, the Real Housewives are not going to pay your bills. Or make you dinner.
When you’re ready for dinner….fire up the grill and toss everything…chicken, peppers, onions…right on the grates and cook for a few minutes. The most torturous part of all of this is allowing the chicken to rest for a few minutes after cooking before you slice it up so the juices don’t run out all over the platter. I like to serve everything on a giant platter for a family style type of serve yourself dinner. Grilled Chicken Fajitas are excellent topped with fresh, sliced jalapeños, chopped avocados, sour cream, cheese, tomato…you name it. And to take ease the stress of back to school whip up some Bloody Margaritas to sip alongside. And since you won’t have many dishes to clean…you can resume your binge-watching session of Million Dollar Listing (my personal fav!)
Grilled Chicken Fajitas
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 8-10 corn tortillas
- chopped cilantro
- Place the chicken, onion, bell pepper in a resealable bag. In a small bowl, whisk together the fajita seasoning, oil and water. Pour the marinade into the bag and seal tightly. Allow the chicken to marinade in the refrigerator for 1-12 hours.
- Preheat the grill.
- Remove the chicken, onion and bell pepper from the marinade. Discard the marinade. Place the chicken, onion and bell pepper on the grill. Grill for 3-4 minutes and then turn over. Cook for an additional 4-5 minutes or until the chicken is cook through. Transfer to a platter, cover with foil and allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes. While the chicken rests, place the tortillas on the grill and cook for 1 minute on each side. Transfer to a platter and cover with foil until ready to serve.
- Remove the foil and slice the chicken into 1/2 inch slices across the grain. Serve the chicken, onions and peppers with the tortillas. Top with cilantro if desired.
|Serving Size||2 fajitas|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 328kcal Calories from fat 77|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 9g||14%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||20%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|