Rich, fluffy, moist cake to kill any chocolate craving, this is the BEST Chocolate Mug Cake recipe ever. Deep chocolate flavor in a soft, springy cake with a tender crumb that’s ready in under 2 minutes. The perfect last minute sweet treat.
Hey, hey! It’s Tuesday! Did you miss me? I’ve been taking little breaks here and there to help me stay a little sane. I injured myself running and with ever step I take I want to squeal like a baby because the pain….oh, the pain. It’s stupid and depressing and makes me feel old. Luckily, I have a new 18 year old intern helping me out in the kitchen for a couple weeks….so, hopefully…I’ll be on the mend by the time she’s off to start her new life as a college student. 🙂 In the meantime…I’m teaching her a few things about food blogging and mug cakes.
Honestly, I have no idea why I don’t have more mug cake recipes here….I started with this spectacular strawberry number and then….no more. So weird because they’re super easy and great in a pinch when you’re having a huge hankering for something sweet and you don’t really have the energy to whip up a huge chocolate cake. And….they’re especially amazing because they’re made in the microwave in less than 2 minutes. I mean, seriously….who doesn’t have time for a mug cake and this one is the BEST Chocolate Mug Cake recipe around.
I included a secret ingredient…that’s not so secret because I have to tell you what it is if I want you to be able to replicate this at home or in your dorm room or your college apartment or wherever you happen to find a microwave. How about the break room at work? I bet you’ll have a ton of friends when they smell this baby cooking away. Do you want more friends at work? Do you? Really? Make this Chocolate Mug Cake and they’ll come running.
It’s rich, chocolatey and studded with chocolate chunks….and it has a teensy bit of a “OMG, what is that amazing flavor” in the form of instant espresso powder. Yeah, that’s right…a hit of caffeine to give you a little mocha whisper. It’s really pretty amazing. Be sure to use the best ingredients you can for the very best results…..I love using Bob’s Red Mill Organic All Purpose Flour in my baking for perfect results every single time. It’s freshly milled from high quality, certified organic and hard red wheat. It guarantees perfect, fluffy results every single time. The Very Best Chocolate Mug Cake is the perfect companion to a cup of cold brew when you’re trying to perk yourself up after a long night of Bachelorette watching, clubbing, QVC’ing…whatever keeps you up late at night.
- 2 Tbsp salted butter
- 1 Tsp. vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour (I use Bob's Red Mill Organic All-Purpose Flour)
- 1 Tsp. baking powder
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 Tsp. instant espresso powder
- 1/4 cup chocolate chunks
- In a small microwave safe bowl, melt the butter.
- Add the vanilla, milk and egg to the butter and whisk to combine.
- Stir in the sugar, flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and espresso powder.
- Divide the batter between two 8 ounce mugs filling no more than halfway in each mug. (overfilling will result in a huge mess.)
- Sprinkle the batter with chocolate chunks.
- Place the mugs in the microwave and bake at full power for 1 minute 30 seconds. The cake should spring back when pressed lightly with your finger. If the cake is undercooked, cook for an additional 15 seconds until cooked through.
- Top with whipped cream and sprinkles if desired.