Loaded with summer flavor, Easy Caprese Tortellini Salad is party perfect for any occasion. Ready in minutes and with just a handful of ingredients, you’ll be adding this to your list of summer staples!
It’s party season…or at least it seems to be. With the kick off of summer just last week and all the Memorial Day hubbub…then graduation looming here in just two days….it seems there’s a celebration around every single corner. And each one is bigger and better than the last one….each person trying to one up the neighbors to ensure their soiree is the talk of the season. To be honest…I like to keep things simple. Occasionally, I’ll make a wreath or something slightly crafty…but I like to reserve my energy for the food. Especially in the summer, let’s just enjoy a few cocktails and stuff our faces silly while we listen to the birds chirp, the leaves blow in the wind and the kids squeal with joy that school is finally out. Shall we?
And let’s start with something insanely simple, like Easy Caprese Tortellini Salad…mmmmkay? It’s been my experience that pasta salad is the first bowl to vanish at any barbecue….people LOVE their carbs. And I’m one of those people. I could, literally, live on pasta salad morning, noon and night. I love any variation from a simple macaroni salad to a Italian-ized blend of chopped veggies. I could eat it all. And with everyone flipping out over “Caprese” everything…I thought I’d just go with it…..simply. Because it’s summer and we need to take it easy. 🙂
Easy Caprese Tortellini Salad is so easy to make…you’re just not going to believe it. Really. Just four ingredients go into a bowl…tossed together and then, voila….salad. Probably the best you ever had. Unless you tried this version from last summer, then it may be a toss up. Or a tie. What do you think?
- 1-20 oz package refrigerated cheese tortellini (I used Buitoni)
- 1-7 oz package refrigerated basil pesto (I used Buitoni Basil Pesto Sauce)
- 2 cups halved grape tomatoes
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- fresh basil for garnish, if desired
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium high heat. Add the tortellini and cook according to package directions. (Do not overcook.)
- Drain the pasta and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Transfer the pasta to a large bowl.
- Add the pesto, tomatoes and cheese. Toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.