Traditional Greek Salad Recipe with Feta
This easy Greek Salad Recipe is one of my favorite summer side dishes! It’s so easy to pull together and you probably have the ingredients on hand at all times. Bursting with fresh vegetables, kalamata olives and feta cheese. The colors are so vibrant that it literally makes my mouth water thinking about it!
Originally published in March 2012 and updated on July 8, 2019.
Summer salads are on repeat right now and I’m not even a veggie lover. They’re so easy to throw together and if you’re going to eat some vegetables it may as well be in the summer when they’re at their best. This Traditional Greek Salad Recipe is summer’s greatest creation….minus the cheese, of course.
We make this Greek Salad all the time and what I love most is that it’s not a big bowl of lettuce with a few vegetables thrown in. In fact, it doesn’t have any lettuce at all and I’m not mad about it. It’s loaded with cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, olives, onions and feta then tossed with an authentic Greek Salad Dressing that whips up in seconds.
I can’t take all the credit for the creation of the Greek Salad since I saw something similar at a local grocery store and made my own recipe inspired by the original. I will admit, I didn’t purchase the salad at the store since it was tired looking….as if it had spent days in the deli case waiting for someone to take it home.
Instead, I bought fresh produce, cheese and a very good olive oil to make my version at home. It’s definitely better about a day after you make it so the flavors have time to meld but it’s very difficult to wait that long before digging in. It’s light, refreshing and so, soooooo easy to make.
WHAT IS A GREEK SALAD
Greek Salad, or Horiatiki Salad, is a fresh vegetable salad commonly found in mediterranean cuisine. Made with tomatoes, cucumbers, feta cheese and olives, it’s lightly dressed with olive oil, oregano and seasoned with salt.
Common additions to a Greek Salad are bell peppers and caper berries.
WHAT IS IN A GREEK SALAD
The BEST Greek Salad recipe has the best and freshest ingredients. You really could toss in just about any vegetables you like or if you’re not a fan of something like onions….simply leave it out.
To make a Greek Salad, you will need:
- Grape Tomatoes
- Bell Pepper (I like Yellow or Orange)
- Red Onion
- Feta Cheese
- Kalamata Olives
To make the Greek Salad Dressing, you will need:
- Dried Oregano
- Whole Grain Mustard
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
You could also dress your salad with this easy Greek Salad Dressing for extra flavor and it makes enough for you to use as a marinade later in the week.
HOW TO MAKE GREEK SALAD
It couldn’t be simpler to throw together this easy salad recipe. It’s really just a matter of tossing everything into a bowl and giving it a stir. Whipping up the dressing and pouring it over. Then, grabbing a fork and digging in.
Here’s how to do it:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, zest, oregano and mustard.
- Drizzle in the olive oil, continuing to whisk until thoroughly blended. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the cucumber, tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, feta and olives. Toss to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss again to coat.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH GREEK SALAD
This simple salad is so insanely versatile, it goes with EVERYTHING!
Here are some of our favorite recipes to go with the Best Greek Salad:
- BEST Oven Baked Chicken Breast.…seriously, read the comments…it’s the best.
- Oven Baked BBQ Chicken Thighs, so incredibly easy.
- Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs with Garlic Sauce
- Grilled Balsamic Lamb Chops are like magic with this salad.
Want a few more Greek favorites? You’ll love this Chopped Greek Pasta Salad….it’s so, soooo good! Or you can serve up these Greek Stuffed Peppers, they’re a hit with everyone who bites into them. And my favorite Greek Cucumber Noodle Salad. Sooooo refreshing!
Traditional Greek Salad Recipe
- 1 english cucumber cut in half and sliced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1 yellow bell pepper large dice
- 1/2 red onion large dice
- 8 oz. feta cheese cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 oz whole pitted Kalamata olives
- Juice of one lemon and zest
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a small bowl, mix together lemon juice, zest, oregano and mustard.
- While whisking constantly, drizzle in olive oil until thoroughly blended. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients (cucumber through olives).
- Pour dressing over salad and toss. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.