Get your chocolate fix with a bit of healthy mixed in! Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins are moist, sweet and tender…perfect for breakfast, brunch or a healthy snack.
I’m just going to say it….I’m hooked on Bachelor in Paradise. For years, I never was even remotely interested in the saga that is The Bachelor and The Bachelorette. THEN they came out with Bachelor in Paradise and within one episode…I’m a junkie. I’m watching it now and it was even a surprise episode! I didn’t know it was on and I stumbled on it by accident….so, I threw my husband on bedtime duty and grabbed a chocolatey treat…heated it in the microwave for 10 seconds and slathered on some butter. I’m ready to go.
There’s something about watching trashy TV and eating a heavenly snack. But when Bachelor in Paradise is on THREE days in a row, one can’t dive into pint after pint of ice cream without adding another notch on their belt buckle. Know what I mean? So, I made these Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins for real chocolate emergencies….when I’ve already eaten my daily allotment of candy bars, cake or chocolate mousse pie.
And seriously….Bachelor in Paradise can get pretty stressful when you’re watching these girls just burn bridges left and right…and I’m a stress eater. So, these Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins will be ready in my freezer for those times when you want to impart a bit of elderly wisdom but are frustrated because the television is not a cell phone to Mexico.
I loaded my Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins with oats just like these insane banana muffins and threw in a huge handful of chocolate chunks for melty pleasure. A few cups of shredded zucchini just melt right into the batter to you’re little guys or your veggie hating significant other won’t even know they’re healthy. These muffins have seriously bumped my Morning Glory Muffins and these Blueberry Muffins out of first place for sure.
Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour ( I use Bob's Red Mill Whole Wheat All-Purpose Flour)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 cup chocolate chunks
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 16 standard sized muffin tins with cupcake liners or coat with cooking spray and dust lightly with flour.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, oats and salt in a large bowl to combine thoroughly. Add the zucchini stirring to coat with the flour mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, eggs, vanilla and espresso powder. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until all ingredients are thoroughly combined being careful not to over mix. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Fill the muffin tins about 3/4 of the way full with the batter mixture and bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Muffins can be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days and frozen for about 2 months.