The Very Best Blueberry Muffins
Tender, moist muffins with a crunchy, sugary top and overloaded with real blueberry flavor, the Very Best Blueberry Muffins are better than any bakery and a tasty way to start your day. Real ingredients, no preservatives and simple to make for breakfast on the go.
Happy Monday, friends…..happy monday. I know some people who bound out of bed on Monday morning….wait, no…no I don’t. I, actually, don’t know ANYONE who leaps out of bed on Monday morning ready to start their work week. I did today…but only because I had a pint sized visitor coming by at promptly 6:20 am. Before the sun is up and, boy, is it dark! And windy….AND cold!!! Holy COW! And here I’ve been whining for weeks about it not being cold and it’s January and yada yada yada. Well, the cold is here and so is my little neighbor….patiently (not so patiently) waiting for Landon to wake up. (I didn’t have the heart to tell him it’s going to be awhile.)
Today….I’m extra happy to not have to trek to an office in this weather. I do have to take both kids to school but that doesn’t involve near as much “prep” work (hair, makeup, accessorizing) as it does when I worked in an office. Which is good on a windy day because any effort you put into your hair will be wasted once you step outside. I like to use my time wisely so hair won’t be a priority today…a warning to all those I see today, let’s not judge. Your hair is probably a mess too. But I do have muffins…..the Very Best Blueberry Muffins that are filled with….you guessed it….blueberries. Two whole cups of them. And contrary to popular belief…blueberries are awesome right now. A bit spendy but they’re pretty spectacular for winter berries.
I mentioned last week how I used to hit the drive-thru for a semi-healthy breakfast on my way to work….well, sometimes that drive-thru was Starbucks or Dunkin’ Donuts. And both places have their fair share of muffins to choose from. My favorite muffin ever is this Morning Glory muffin but I’ve dabbled in the trashed up variety with my Banana Muffin which is spectacular, as well. The Very Best Blueberry Muffin is pure and simple….as a blueberry muffin should be. They get their blue hue from pureed blueberries, which I thought was a great idea so you get that blueberry flavor with every single solitary bite. Every crumb, every morsel has blueberry bursting throughout. And be sure to use a high quality flour, I love Bob’s Red Mill Organic All Purpose Flour to create fluffy, tender baked goods. They are perfect for a quick grab and go breakfast (with a side of yogurt for you healthy, well-rounded breakfast eaters). They’re even better on a leisurely Saturday morning with a side of coffee.
- 2 1/4 cups flour I use Bob's Red Mill Organic All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar or granulated sugar, for sprinkling
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 16 standard sized muffin tins with cupcake liners or coat with cooking spray and dust lightly with flour.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl to combine thoroughly. Add one cup of blueberries and stir to coat with the flour mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, eggs and vanilla. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until all ingredients are thoroughly combined being careful not to over mix.
- Puree the remaining blueberries in a food processor or blender until smooth. Stir the blueberry puree and lemon zest into the batter.
- Fill the muffin tins about 3/4 of the way full with the batter mixture, sprinkle with the remaining sugar and bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Muffins can be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days and frozen for about 2 months.