Easy Pepper Steak Recipe
Dinner on the table in 15 minutes, fresh, fast and easy! Easy Pepper Steak is full of asian flavor and will soon become a regular in your weeknight dinner rotation. Veggies and protein packed in one tasty meal.
Easy Pepper Steak
We love take out but dinners I can get on the table faster than take out are even better. Beef stir fry and spicy shrimp are our go-to’s most nights but this Chinese Pepper Steak recipe is one of the fastest recipes I make.
It’s super simple to make with just a handful of ingredients and it’s packed with savory notes that you just don’t get at traditional Chinese restaurants. What I love most about this Beef Pepper Steak is it’s much healthier, lower in sodium and you can adjust the heat level to your own personal preference.
Bonus points….it’s on the table in just 15 minutes!
What Is Pepper Steak
Pepper Steak is an americanized Chinese meal made with sliced beef, bell peppers, onions and seasonings. You can add your favorite vegetables to make it more hearty but we like to stick with the basics to make things easier.
This easy Pepper Steak with onions is super easy to make and most of the work goes into the chopping of the ingredients. Onions, mini sweet peppers, skirt steak, garlic.
That’s about it, then you’ll whisk up a savory asian inspired sauce to toss with your ingredients, cook until thickened a bit…toss on top of a heaping pile of rice…or cauliflower rice. Dig in. It’s so amazing and almost one pot.
How To Make It
First, make the stir fry sauce which takes only a few seconds.
Whisk together the ginger, sesame oil, fish sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar and chili paste. Set aside.
Toss the steak with salt, pepper and constarch.
Heat the oil in a skillet.
Stir fry the steak in the skillet for 3-4 minutes.
Add the vegetables to the pan and stir fry until slightly softened.
Add the sauce and stir to coat cooking until slightly thickened.
Serve over rice and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
What To Serve It With
Pepper Steak is a spin off of another favorite stir-fry recipe that I topped a pile of cauliflower rice with. The cauliflower rice would go very well with this recipe, as well!
You can also serve it over regular rice or just serve all by itself for a lower carb dinner.
More Easy Take Out Recipes
- Super Easy Mongolian Beef Stir Fry
- Easy Hunan Shrimp
- Easy Beef Stir Fry with Rice Noodles
- Spicy Singapore Noodles (Singapore Chow Mei Fun) VIDEO
Get the Recipe: 15 Minute Pepper Steak
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- 1 pound skirt steak, cut into 1/4 inch slices across the grain
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sliced red bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced orange bell pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced sweet onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ginger, sesame oil, fish sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar and chili paste. Set aside.
- Season the steak with salt and pepper. Toss the steak with the cornstarch to coat.
- Heat the olive oil in a large stir-fry pan or skillet over med-high heat.
- Add the steak to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes or until browned on all sides.
- Using tongs, remove the steak from the pan to a plate and drain off all but 1 tablespoon fat.
- Add the peppers and onion to the pan. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Return the steak to the pan.
- Add the sauce to the skillet and stir to coat. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Serve immediately sprinkled with sesame seeds and cilantro, if desired.