15 Minute Pepper Steak
Dinner on the table in 15 minutes, fresh, fast and easy! Easy 15 Minute Pepper Steak is full of asian flavor and will soon become a regular in your weeknight dinner rotation. Veggies and protein packed in one tasty meal.
T-minus 13 days until the first day of school….the butterflies are flying a little too much, if you ask me. I’m so nervous for my little guy leaving…as much as I need the time to get some work done and he, of course, needs to learn a few things. Like ABC’s, 123’s and stuff like that there. 🙂 I just don’t want him to grow up AND….I have a rough idea of what the next 13 years are going to be like. Is it weird that I’m already dreading homework and school projects? Gah.
The hustle and bustle that arrives each fall with the start of a new school year is only eased by careful planning. I’m not that great at it…the planning. I’m more of a fly by the seat of my pants kinda gal….which causes a bit of extra stressful turmoil. And so, I try my best to have fly by the seat of my pants recipes on hand to help me save myself…from myself. Dinners like our favorite Cheeseburger Macaroni Skillet and this super quick 15 Minute Pepper Steak. It’s so fast….the rice will take longer to cook than the meal itself….so, do what I do and skip the rice. Or do what a normal person does and get quick cooking rice.
This 15 Minute Pepper Steak is a spin off of another favorite stir-fry recipe that I topped a pile of cauliflower rice with. The cauliflower rice would go very well with this recipe, too, but…frankly…I’m really sick of cauliflower all the things. I like bread, I like pasta, I like rice….you do you. And if that means pulverizing a head of cauliflower in a food processor…then go for it. But know that you’ll be hungry in an hour and reaching for a pint of ice cream. It’s cool. We’ve all been there.
My 15 Minute Pepper Steak is super easy to make and most of the work goes into the chopping of the ingredients. Onions, mini sweet peppers, skirt steak, garlic. That’s about it, then you’ll whisk up a savory asian inspired sauce to toss with your ingredients, cook until thickened a bit…toss on top of a heaping pile of rice…or cauliflower rice. Dig in. It’s so amazing and almost one pot. It certainly knocked a few things, like this easy skillet chicken, out of the weekly meal rotation for a bit.
15 Minute Pepper Steak
Dinner on the table in just 15 minutes, this easy Pepper Steak is a hit with the whole family!
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- 1 pound skirt steak cut into 1/4 inch slices across the grain
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sliced red bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced orange bell pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced sweet onion
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ginger, sesame oil, fish sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar and chili paste. Set aside.
- Season the steak with salt and pepper. Toss the steak with the cornstarch to coat.
- Heat the olive oil in a large stir-fry pan or skillet over med-high heat.
- Add the steak to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes or until browned on all sides.
- Using tongs, remove the steak from the pan to a plate and drain off all but 1 tablespoon fat.
- Add the peppers and onion to the pan. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Return the steak to the pan.
- Add the sauce to the skillet and stir to coat. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Serve immediately sprinkled with sesame seeds and cilantro, if desired.