Beef Bourguignon Burger with Horseradish Creme Fraiche
All the flavors of the classic french stew packed into a burger! This Beef Bourguignon Burger with Horseradish Creme Fraiche is as amazing as it sounds. Real Angus Beef burgers grilled to perfection then blanketed with melty Comte cheese and wine soaked mushrooms. Seriously amazing.
Disclaimer: Where this epic burger creation is my own for #BurgerMonth 2016, I would love to thank Certified Angus Beef, Cowboy Charcoal, Char-broil, Dreamfarm, Cabot Cheese, Grill Master Club, American Lamb Board, and CuttingBoard.com for the kick butt grill prize packages!
Hi there, friends! Happy Mother’s Day! Look at me, posting on a Sunday…I’m just like a super overachiever this week! 🙂 But really…did you know May is Burger Month? Yeah, that’s right….so we get to celebrate one of my favorite foods for an entire month and BOY do I have a burger for you! (AND a giveaway so stay tuned for the details!) This burger is one for the record books…and I’m going to throw this right out there, the pictures…..they just don’t do this thing justice.
This Beef Bourguignon Burger with Horseradish Creme Fraiche is really, really, really AMAZING. I’m not even kidding. It you love the classic french dish, Beef Bourguignon you will absolutely swoon over this burger. And it doesn’t take long to make at all. It’s packed full of bold, earthy flavors and the creamy, salty, melty cheese just takes it to another level.
I create the burger first….and kept is simple because Certified Angus Beef® needs little help. Really, a little salt and pepper….mold them into patties (without packing the meat too tightly) and you’re good to go. I used about a pound of ground beef and made 4 good sized burgers. Salt, pepper, beef. Don’t stray from that. I’m telling you….it’s all good. The mushroom sauce…that’s where a lot of the Bourguignon lives. Sauteed shallots, mushrooms and garlic are then deglazed with a good red wine, I used a cabernet for this one but only because that’s what I had opened. A good Beaujolais would be splendid here or whatever you got…just make sure it’s something you would drink yourself. I finished off the mushrooms with a bit of fresh thyme and a teensy, giant slab of butter. It made the sauce rich and creamy…don’t skip this step. Grill your burgers and top with a nutty Comte cheese….it’s meltability is incredible and it’s a perfect pairing with your wine soaked mushrooms. If you can’t find Comte…you can use a Gruyere or Jarlsberg would be great too. And when in doubt….use cheddar. Really, nothing ever bad happens when you toss in some cheddar. The horseradish sauce is simple to whisk up while the burgers are cooking, horseradish, creme fraiche (or sour cream), chives, salt, pepper….that’s it.
Pile your Beef Bourguignon Burger onto a fluffy brioche roll or go healthy with these whole wheat rolls. Sit back with a margarita and enjoy the sun. Kick your feet up…summer’s here and we’re going to be doing a lot of grilling….things like these burgers from last year and this seafood paella.
If the weather’s boo….you can enjoy a juicy burger indoors with the amazing Patty Melts!
It’s gonna be a good summer!
FOR MORE EASY FAMILY RECIPES, FOLLOW US OVER ON FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM!
Get the Recipe: Beef Bourguignon Burger with Horseradish Creme Fraiche
- 1 pound Certified Angus Beef® Ground Beef
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large shallots, diced
- 6 ounces cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Herbs de Provence
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 4 ounces creme fraiche, or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped chives
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 4 - 1/4 inch thick slices Comte cheese, or Cheddar
- 4 Brioche Buns
- Prepare grill.
- Using clean hands, blend together the ground beef, kosher salt and pepper. Divide the mixture into four equal portions and shape into 1/2 inch patties. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until the begin to caramelize, approximately 4-5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, approximately 1 minute. Add the wine to the pan and scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to loosen any brown bits. Cook the mixture until reduced by 1/2, approximately 5 minutes. Stir in the thyme, Herbs de Provence and butter. Cook until thickened, approximately 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the creme fraiche, horseradish and chives. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Grill the burger patties over medium-high heat, 2-3 minutes on each side for medium rare. Top each burger with one slice of cheese. Turn off the heat and close the grill. Allow the cheese to melt, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Slice the buns in half and spread 1/4 of the horseradish sauce on the bottom of each bun. Place the burger on the bottom bun and spoon the mushroom sauce over top. Place the top of the bun on the burger and serve immediately.
29 Comments on “Beef Bourguignon Burger with Horseradish Creme Fraiche”
The best topping is bacon!
I think so, too, but in this case….bacon just overpowered the whole burger.
Mushrooms are my favorite.
My favorite toppings for my epic burger are sharp cheddar cheese, onion jam, bacon and burger sauce.
I love onion jam! I used it on my cheese stuffed sliders!
Oh my that is one scrumptious burger!
Grilled onions and bell pepper are my go to toppings.
OH! Bell peppers and onions would be amazing!!!
Kellie–It is the horseradish creme fraiche that gets me! Seriously a killer way to finish off any burger!
This looks amazing but I’m dreaming of something with roasted jalapenos.
Dear Kellie, What a sight! This burger is mouthwatering..with all the juice running and sauce…who could resist?! xo, Catherine
Looks absolutely amazing! WOW!! Nettie
Oh my goodness, that looks amazing will all of those juices and sauce. YUM!
What a burger!! Wish I was enjoying one of these right about now!
Horseradish is highly underrated as a topping. Not trendy, but just really tangy and good. I ordered a burger with cheddar and some horseradish spread while on a trip to Boston last month, and it was wonderful. This sounds like a great recipe to try!
That looks delicious! Big Swiss cheese fan here, tho I know creme-fraiche is all the rage
I am drooling over here and my stomach is rumbling for your gorgeous burger! Nettie
I think I just drooled a little bit on my keyboard!!!!
I love the sauce idea! This would go great with so many dishes!
this burger looks amazing!!!!
oh my! This sound sooo good!! Yummo!!!
Thanks so much, Deanna!
Thank you Kellie! My husband is French and will Love this creation!! You are an amazing chef! Thanks again! Cheers!
Thank you so much, Jen! I hope you enjoy it!
We tried these tonight for an at home date night. They were incredible. All the components were so complementary. My favorite was the horseradish creme fraiche. So glad I found these on pinterest!
Thank you for your comment! We LOVE this burger, too!