Beef Bourguignon Burger with Horseradish Creme Fraiche
All the flavors of the classic french stew packed into a burger! This Beef Bourguignon Burger with Horseradish Creme Fraiche is as amazing as it sounds. Real Angus Beef burgers grilled to perfection then blanketed with melty Comte cheese and wine soaked mushrooms. Seriously amazing.
Disclaimer: Where this epic burger creation is my own for #BurgerMonth 2016, I would love to thank Certified Angus Beef, Cowboy Charcoal, Char-broil, Dreamfarm, Cabot Cheese, Grill Master Club, American Lamb Board, and CuttingBoard.com for the kick butt grill prize packages!
Hi there, friends! Happy Mother’s Day! Look at me, posting on a Sunday…I’m just like a super overachiever this week! 🙂 But really…did you know May is Burger Month? Yeah, that’s right….so we get to celebrate one of my favorite foods for an entire month and BOY do I have a burger for you! (AND a giveaway so stay tuned for the details!) This burger is one for the record books…and I’m going to throw this right out there, the pictures…..they just don’t do this thing justice.
This Beef Bourguignon Burger with Horseradish Creme Fraiche is really, really, really AMAZING. I’m not even kidding. It you love the classic french dish, Beef Bourguignon you will absolutely swoon over this burger. And it doesn’t take long to make at all. It’s packed full of bold, earthy flavors and the creamy, salty, melty cheese just takes it to another level.
I create the burger first….and kept is simple because Certified Angus Beef® needs little help. Really, a little salt and pepper….mold them into patties (without packing the meat too tightly) and you’re good to go. I used about a pound of ground beef and made 4 good sized burgers. Salt, pepper, beef. Don’t stray from that. I’m telling you….it’s all good. The mushroom sauce…that’s where a lot of the Bourguignon lives. Sauteed shallots, mushrooms and garlic are then deglazed with a good red wine, I used a cabernet for this one but only because that’s what I had opened. A good Beaujolais would be splendid here or whatever you got…just make sure it’s something you would drink yourself. I finished off the mushrooms with a bit of fresh thyme and a teensy, giant slab of butter. It made the sauce rich and creamy…don’t skip this step. Grill your burgers and top with a nutty Comte cheese….it’s meltability is incredible and it’s a perfect pairing with your wine soaked mushrooms. If you can’t find Comte…you can use a Gruyere or Jarlsberg would be great too. And when in doubt….use cheddar. Really, nothing ever bad happens when you toss in some cheddar. The horseradish sauce is simple to whisk up while the burgers are cooking, horseradish, creme fraiche (or sour cream), chives, salt, pepper….that’s it.
Pile your Beef Bourguignon Burger onto a fluffy brioche roll or go healthy with these whole wheat rolls. Sit back with a margarita and enjoy the sun. Kick your feet up…summer’s here and we’re going to be doing a lot of grilling….things like these burgers from last year and this seafood paella. It’s gonna be a good summer and it will be even better when you win one of the amazing prizes up for grabs from our sponsor! Now, go get it!
Beef Bourguignon Burger with Horseradish Creme Fraiche
- 1 pound Certified Angus Beef® Ground Beef
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large shallots, diced
- 6 ounces cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Herbs de Provence
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 4 ounces creme fraiche (or sour cream)
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped chives
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 4 - 1/4 inch thick slices Comte cheese (or Cheddar)
- 4 Brioche Buns
- Prepare grill.
- Using clean hands, blend together the ground beef, kosher salt and pepper. Divide the mixture into four equal portions and shape into 1/2 inch patties. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until the begin to caramelize, approximately 4-5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, approximately 1 minute. Add the wine to the pan and scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to loosen any brown bits. Cook the mixture until reduced by 1/2, approximately 5 minutes. Stir in the thyme, Herbs de Provence and butter. Cook until thickened, approximately 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the creme fraiche, horseradish and chives. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Grill the burger patties over medium-high heat, 2-3 minutes on each side for medium rare. Top each burger with one slice of cheese. Turn off the heat and close the grill. Allow the cheese to melt, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Slice the buns in half and spread 1/4 of the horseradish sauce on the bottom of each bun. Place the burger on the bottom bun and spoon the mushroom sauce over top. Place the top of the bun on the burger and serve immediately.
|Serving Size||1 Burger pattie|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 827kcal Calories from fat 457|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 51g||78%|
|Saturated Fat 20g||100%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|