Easy Chocolate Mug Cake
Rich, fluffy, moist cake to kill any chocolate craving, this is the BEST Chocolate Mug Cake recipe ever. Deep chocolate flavor in a soft, springy cake with a tender crumb that’s ready in under 2 minutes. The perfect last minute sweet treat.
Easy Chocolate Mug Cake
Chocolate cravings be warned…..you have met your match! This easy to make microwave Chocolate Mug Cake recipe is so simple to make in under 5 minutes from start to finish. This is like a dorm room dream come true because it’s homemade, from scratch, chocolate cake you can make just for one!
And the best part is you mix everything up in the mug itself so you only have one “bowl” to clean. This cake bakes up fluffy, tender and moist with pockets of melty chocolate chips studded throughout. Top with a dollop of whipped cream and some sprinkles for a tasty party for your mouth.
How To Make It
Melt the butter in the microwave.
Add the vanilla, milk and egg to the butter whisking to combine.
Whisk in the sugar, flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and espresso powder until smooth.
Divide the batter between two 8 ounce mugs.
Sprinkle in the chocolate chunks.
Bake in the microwave for 1 minutes and 30 seconds.
Top with whipped cream and sprinkles, if desired!
Serve warm or at room temperature.
Mug Cake Variations
We love, love, love this chocolate mug cake but you can easily modify it by omitting the cocoa powder, espresso powder or chocolate chunks.
Replace the chocolate chunks with peanut butter chunks for a Chocolate Peanut Butter Mug Cake.
Stir in a bit of lemon extract and skip the cocoa powder and espresso powder for a lemon sponge mug cake.
Get creative….this is a fun and easy recipe to make your own.
What To Serve It With
This easy Chocolate Mug Cake is the perfect companion to a cup of cold brew when you’re trying to perk yourself up after a long night of Bachelorette watching, clubbing, QVC’ing…whatever keeps you up late at night.
And if you want something even a little more decadent….try THIS Hot Chocolate Mug Cake…it’s studded with fudge truffles!!! Yes, I said truffles.
More Easy Cake Recipes
- Strawberry Mug Cake
- Instant Pot Chocolate Lava Cake
- Slow Cooker Apple Upside Down Cake
- Belgian Waffle Cake
Get the Recipe: The Very Best Chocolate Mug Cake
- 2 Tbsp salted butter
- 1 Tsp. vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour, I use Bob's Red Mill Organic All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp. baking powder
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 Tsp. instant espresso powder
- 1/4 cup chocolate chunks
- In a small microwave safe bowl, melt the butter.
- Add the vanilla, milk and egg to the butter and whisk to combine.
- Stir in the sugar, flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and espresso powder.
- Divide the batter between two 8 ounce mugs filling no more than halfway in each mug. (overfilling will result in a huge mess.)
- Sprinkle the batter with chocolate chunks.
- Place the mugs in the microwave and bake at full power for 1 minute 30 seconds. The cake should spring back when pressed lightly with your finger. If the cake is undercooked, cook for an additional 15 seconds until cooked through.
- Top with whipped cream and sprinkles if desired.