Blueberry and Grilled Corn Salsa
Two of summer’s best treats blended together to create this sweet and spicy Blueberry and Grilled Corn Salsa. An excellent dip to serve at your next summer gathering or use to top grilled chicken for an easy weeknight dinner.
If you haven’t noticed, I like blueberries. I like to put them in just about everything from this Blueberry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce to my “famous” Blueberry Coconut Yogurt Coffee Cake. Or this Blueberry Feta and Quinoa Salad and these Blueberry Mojito Popsicles. Savory, sweet…you name it. They work. I also like to pop them like candy during the summer when they’re so incredibly sweet they make you want to skip around. Unless it’s 90 degrees and humid…then you can freeze them for a treat that will help keep you from melting while you sit in a chair and think about the 9 foot snow drifts from this past winter. Serious fabulousness packed into a tiny little nugget.
So, I decided to do what any self-respecting blueberry lover would do and turn them into a salsa where their flavors can really be the star of the show. And since corn is coming along pretty nicely this year I threw a couple ears on the grill to get a smokey, charring thing going and mixed that in with the blues. The sweet on sweet of the berries and corn goes incredibly well together making it the perfect summer recipe. A little jalapeño…a little bit of lime, some red onion, chopped cilantro…it’s all good.
Fresh, sweet and spicy, you will love it as a dip and it’s a perfect addition to your Father’s Day cookout or 4th of July barbecue. A nice departure from the usual tomato based salsa and leftovers, if you have any, are perfect for topping grilled chicken. Blueberry and Grilled Corn Salsa takes just minutes to make and can be made in advance…actually, it’s even better if made a day before your big event.
Next time you’re at the store prepping for your next big backyard bash, put down the tomatoes and pick up some blueberries. You’ll be so glad you did and your guests will think you are a genius!
Get the Recipe: Blueberry and Grilled Corn Salsa
- 2 ears of corn, shucked
- 3 cups blueberries, divided
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- juice and zest of one lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Preheat the grill.
- Place the corn directly on the grill grates and cook until charred on all sides, turning frequently to prevent burning. Transfer to the corn to a cutting board and cut the kernels off the cob using a sharp knife. Place the kernels in a bowl and set aside.
- Place 1 1/2 cups blueberries in a food processor and pulse until roughly chopped. Transfer the blueberries to the bowl with the corn. Add the remaining blueberries, onion, jalapeño, lime juice, lime zest and cilantro to the bowl. Toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Can be made up to 48 hours in advance and stored in an airtight container refrigerated.