Grilled Margherita Pizza
Fresh, simple and classic, Grilled Margherita Pizza is easy to make and has an amazingly crispy crust. A great summer recipe that comes together in just a few minutes.
Happy (unofficial) summer, friends!!! What did you do this weekend to kick off the season? Did you go to the beach? Did you have a picnic or host a barbecue? I ate all the pizza. All of it. Well, maybe not all of it…but I definitely ate my fare share of slices this weekend while at the beach. There’s nothing better than a slice of pizza at the Jersey shore. Seriously. It is the first thing I want to sink my teeth into once I smell the salty air. The thin, crispy crust…the molten, greasy cheese, the tangy, sweet sauce. It’s absolute genius on a paper plate.
Then I came home. And after sitting in hours of traffic with the rest of the suburban Philly population, I didn’t want to cook dinner. At all. So, we ordered a pizza. And after being so spoiled with the best pizza ever all weekend long, the pizza that arrived at my door had a puffy, soft crust and was not at all what I wanted. I sulked like a small child that lost their security blanket. I did. I’m not ashamed. I won’t be ordering pizza at home all summer long when I know I’ll be able to eat ALL the pizza at the shore once I get back down there.
Instead…I’ll be whipping up something I made before I stuffed my face with boardwalk slices, Grilled Margherita Pizza. It’s simply fabulous. Fresh, easy and…actually healthy! Well, definitely healthier than what I ate this weekend. I used my No-Fail Pizza Dough which only takes a few minutes to whip up (minus the rise time) and my No-Cook Pizza Sauce for the base. I always have a jar of my pizza sauce in the fridge and if I run out…it takes 5 minutes to make. I kid you not.
This version of Grilled Margherita Pizza doesn’t even require a fancy pizza stone, you just throw the dough right on the grill over low heat. Wait a few minutes for the crust to crisp up and get a slight char…flip and top with the fresh ingredients…close the grill, wait for melty cheese and then enjoy. (After you transfer it to a platter, of course.) It’s a great recipe for entertaining or just a quick weeknight meal with your family. Fresh, fast and incredibly satisfying….almost as good as that greasy, gut-busting boardwalk pizza that I could totally live on.
Grilled Margherita Pizza
pizza night is perfect for this grilled Margherita pizza
- 2 pre-made pizza dough or 1 recipe for No-Fail Pizza Dough
- 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- 6 tablespoons No-Cook Pizza Sauce
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 4 plum tomatoes sliced
- 12 slices fresh mozzarella
- balsamic vinegar for drizzling
- Preheat the grill.
- Roll the pizza dough in the olive oil and stretch out to form a circle (or an oval, or rectangle...there are no rules here) being careful not to rip the dough. Place the dough directly on the grill grates over med-low heat. Grill the dough until the bottom is crisp and has a slight char. Carefully flip the dough over using a spatula and immediately top the pizza with sauce, basil, tomato and cheese. Close the grill and cook until the cheese is melted and beginning to bubble.
- Transfer the pizza to a serving platter and drizzle with the vinegar. Cut the pizza into wedges and serve immediately.