Grilled Margherita Pizza
Fresh, simple and classic, Grilled Margherita Pizza is easy to make and has an amazingly crispy crust. A great summer recipe that comes together in just a few minutes.
Happy (unofficial) summer, friends!!! What did you do this weekend to kick off the season? Did you go to the beach? Did you have a picnic or host a barbecue? I ate all the pizza. All of it. Well, maybe not all of it…but I definitely ate my fare share of slices this weekend while at the beach. There’s nothing better than a slice of pizza at the Jersey shore. Seriously. It is the first thing I want to sink my teeth into once I smell the salty air. The thin, crispy crust…the molten, greasy cheese, the tangy, sweet sauce. It’s absolute genius on a paper plate.
Then I came home. And after sitting in hours of traffic with the rest of the suburban Philly population, I didn’t want to cook dinner. At all. So, we ordered a pizza. And after being so spoiled with the best pizza ever all weekend long, the pizza that arrived at my door had a puffy, soft crust and was not at all what I wanted. I sulked like a small child that lost their security blanket. I did. I’m not ashamed. I won’t be ordering pizza at home all summer long when I know I’ll be able to eat ALL the pizza at the shore once I get back down there.
Instead…I’ll be whipping up something I made before I stuffed my face with boardwalk slices, Grilled Margherita Pizza. It’s simply fabulous. Fresh, easy and…actually healthy! Well, definitely healthier than what I ate this weekend. I used my No-Fail Pizza Dough which only takes a few minutes to whip up (minus the rise time) and my No-Cook Pizza Sauce for the base. I always have a jar of my pizza sauce in the fridge and if I run out…it takes 5 minutes to make. I kid you not.
This version of Grilled Margherita Pizza doesn’t even require a fancy pizza stone, you just throw the dough right on the grill over low heat. Wait a few minutes for the crust to crisp up and get a slight char…flip and top with the fresh ingredients…close the grill, wait for melty cheese and then enjoy. (After you transfer it to a platter, of course.) It’s a great recipe for entertaining or just a quick weeknight meal with your family. Fresh, fast and incredibly satisfying….almost as good as that greasy, gut-busting boardwalk pizza that I could totally live on.
Get the Recipe: Grilled Margherita Pizza
- 2 pre-made pizza dough, or 1 recipe for No-Fail Pizza Dough
- 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- 6 tablespoons No-Cook Pizza Sauce
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 4 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 12 slices fresh mozzarella
- balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
- Preheat the grill.
- Roll the pizza dough in the olive oil and stretch out to form a circle (or an oval, or rectangle...there are no rules here) being careful not to rip the dough. Place the dough directly on the grill grates over med-low heat. Grill the dough until the bottom is crisp and has a slight char. Carefully flip the dough over using a spatula and immediately top the pizza with sauce, basil, tomato and cheese. Close the grill and cook until the cheese is melted and beginning to bubble.
- Transfer the pizza to a serving platter and drizzle with the vinegar. Cut the pizza into wedges and serve immediately.
One Comment on “Grilled Margherita Pizza”
You got me at Margherita!!! GORGEOUS grill pizza, can’t wait to try this Kellie. Incredible photos as always….