Buttermilk Cornbread Recipe
We all have our classic family recipes, but this Buttermilk Cornbread is SO good, it might even be better than your grandma’s! You only need 8 ingredients and about 30 minutes to make your new favorite side dish. Make it with your dinner tonight!
This time of year calls for one thing – comfort food! There’s really nothing better than coming inside from the cold, taking off your coat and indulging in a warm bowl of chili or soup. Does it get any better than that?
Well, yes it does! Next time you cuddle up with a bowl of something delicious and warm, pair it with a slice of buttermilk cornbread. It’s filling, buttery, delicious and impossible to eat just one piece.
Another huge benefit? It’s loved by friends and family of all ages! I really don’t think I’ve ever met a kid or adult who didn’t reach for a second slice. No matter what I make as my main dish, this cornbread always seems to steal the show.
This recipe is made with simple ingredients like buttermilk, cornmeal and flour. When it comes to the classics, the dishes like this that we all grew up with, you don’t want to change things up too much. I love this recipe because it’s an easy, no-frills way to whip up the best cornbread ever!
Besides just having simple ingredients, the steps to making this cornbread are so effortless, you could do it with your eyes closed! That’s yet another reason I love making this recipe. I wish all side dishes were this insanely easy to whip up!
Even though it’s a side dish, buttermilk cornbread is so good it’s practically a dessert. The crispy edges and soft, fluffy center will make you fall in love with this recipe!
How To Make It
Follow these super simple steps, and you’ll have the BEST cornbread ever!
- First, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- While the oven is preheating, coat a 9 inch round cake pan or skillet with butter or cooking spray. If you choose to go with cooking spray, I recommend using one with a butter flavor to compliment the cornbread.
- Mix the dry ingredients. Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl until fully combined.
- Next, mix in the wet ingredients. Stir in the egg, milk, and vegetable oil until everything is well blended. If you have little ones, this is the fun part for them! What kid doesn’t love stirring a big batch of batter?
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan or skillet.
- Time to bake! Let the cornbread bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes. You can tell when it’s ready by sticking a toothpick right in the middle. If it comes out clean, the cornbread is fully baked. If there’s batter on the toothpick, it needs a little bit longer in the oven.
- Serve your cornbread nice and hot. I love melting some butter on top of my piece with just a drizzle of honey. Once you’ve tried it that way, you’ll never eat a piece of cornbread by itself again!
How To Store It
If you need to store this cornbread, don’t worry! All you need to do is cover the skillet or cake pan with a piece of foil. If you’re traveling with it, just pop it in the oven for a minute or two, uncovered, until it heats back up.
If you need to refrigerate the cornbread, you can reheat it the exact same way. After a few minutes in the oven, uncovered, it’ll be good as new! In an airtight container or covered with foil, it will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 5 days.
How To Serve It
While my favorite toppings are honey and butter, there are plenty of others to try! Do you like a little heat? Then chop up some fresh jalapeños as your garnish! Shredded cheese or even jam would pair fabulously with cornbread, too! No matter how you serve it up, this southern classic is going to put a smile on everyone’s face.
We even use it to make this Cornbread Sausage Stuffing for our favorite stuffed Turkey Breast!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- Preheat oven to 400 ˚F.
- Coat a 9 inch round cake pan or skillet with butter or cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder to combine.
- Stir in egg, milk and vegetable oil until well blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.