California Cobb Sandwich
Everyone’s favorite salad turned into a gigantic sandwich fit for a crowd. This overstuffed California Cobb Sandwich is loaded with chicken, blue cheese and avocado. Perfect for a picnic or toting to the beach for a surf side lunch. Just watch out for the seagulls.
It’s beach season. I’m absolutely giddy about it, minus the fact that I did not get bikini ready what-so-ever. But really, how could I when I make things like Monte Cristo Breakfast Casseroles and Strawberries and Cream Mug Cakes all the time. I don’t care anymore. I’ll still run and do a little bit of exercising to keep things from getting really out of control but now….the beach. It’s time and I’m going to let everything hang out. Seriously.
I could totally eat something a little more healthy like my Chopped Broccoli Salad with Cherries and Feta….and I do, but I pair it with things like a California Cobb Sandwich. Because Cobb Salads are awesome and now I made it portable. To take wherever I want to go….and it’s huge, like whole loaf of bread huge because sharing is caring. And who doesn’t want to share a sandwich. Especially when it’s overloaded with things like basil mayonnaise, blue cheese, roasted chicken, sprouts, avocado….need I say more? I don’t think that I need to, but I will because I’m full of things to say today.
This California Cobb Sandwich is so easy to make. You can roast the chicken ahead of time using my recipe for Simple Roasted Chicken Breasts and give the skin to the dog. It makes their coat shiny and their tummies happy. I also like to buy a big loaf of hearty whole-grain bread to make things easier. You can totally make a loaf yourself but I’m making things easy here…just buy a loaf at your local bakery and scoop out the top after you slice it in half. This gives your sandwich more room to shift when you take a big old bite and not squish out the sides. Slather the insides with your basil mayonnaise…which is only two ingredients so don’t get all freaked out when you hear “Basil Mayonnaise.” It’s just that…basil + mayonnaise = Basil Mayonnaise. Ta Da!
If you’re planning to picnic with your California Cobb Sandwich, make sure you give your avocado a little squeeze of lemon juice so they don’t turn all brown and look nasty. They still taste the same but your friends will think you made the sandwich six weeks ago. Also, wrap the sandwich tightly in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil…this is going to keep everything from shifting in your picnic basket, backpack, back pocket…where ever you plan to store your sandwich. Plus…it will allow everything to meld beautifully adding a ton more flavor to your sandwich.
So….who’s going to the beach this weekend???
Get the Recipe: California Cobb Sandwich
- 1 large loaf of country style whole-grain bread, sliced in half horizontally
- 3/4 cup good quality mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- 2 1/2 cups roasted chicken, from my Simple Roasted Chicken or a rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup crumbled gorgonzola blue cheese
- 2 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- 6 strips cooked bacon
- 1 cup sprouts, I used radish sprouts, they have a peppery bite that I love
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Scoop out some of the inside on the top half of the bread. (Save the insides to make croutons or breadcrumbs later) Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and basil. Spread the mayonnaise evenly over both halves of bread. Top the bottom half with the spinach being sure to spread evenly. Top the spinach with the chicken and sprinkle the chicken with the blue cheese. Layer the tomatoes over the blue cheese and then add the avocado (be sure to coat with lemon if you're not eating the sandwich right away.) Top the avocado with the bacon and sprouts. Season with salt and pepper. Place the top half of the bread on the sandwich and gently press down.
- If serving immediately, slice into 4-6 pieces depending on the number of people you will be serving.
- If serving later, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to eat. Slice before serving. (If you're taking your sandwich with you somewhere that would be difficult to slice, like the beach....unwrap before you leave and slice...carefully rewrap and pack in your basket, backpack or back pocket.) 🙂
13 Comments on “California Cobb Sandwich”
Looks delicious! I am always looking for new lunch options!
We just re-landscaped our yard with a pool. But my bathing suit and I aren’t even on speaking terms. Ha. But I love these sandwiches and can totally see us devouring them this summer!
What a fantastic idea! And Kellie, your pictures are making my mouth water!
I love that you turned my favorite type of salad into a sandwich!! Delicious!
I want this in my belly right now.
This looks fabulous. I love the flavors in cobb salad…but, sometimes you just want to sink your teeth into a sandwich!
I keep seeing this on the net today and it just looks better & better. This is one fabulous sandwich.
Now that’s what I call a sandwich! Just perfect for a seaside picnic!
That is a monster of a sandwich, something my hubby would be all over if he had that in front of him!
I didn’t think cobb salads could get better but then you piled it up in this sandwich! I’m a sucker for big hearty bread too.
I had a great Cobb salad the other day, and can imagine that it would be fantastic in sandwich form. Great idea!
Hahaha I’m totally not “beach bod” ready either but I don’t care, bring on the summer, beach and ocean!! I love it haha! Totally craving this sandwich now! Would be perfect for a picnic too!