Candy Corn Pumpkin Spice Popcorn Balls
I was the kid that cringed a little bit if someone tossed a popcorn ball into my bucket when I was trick or treating. There was something creepy about them….popcorn all stuck together with some sticky, unknown substance. It was probably corn syrup, I never, EVER dared to try one. My friends would inhale them like….well, candy. Not me, I would hold onto it for infinity. I probably still have one in a box in the basement. Petrified. Have I mentioned I’m a hoarder?mallows and somehow found myself making popcorn balls. I don’t know why but I guess, subconsciously I needed to revisit this dreaded treat and make it better. Update it. And since we are drowning in pumpkin spiced everything lately I thought I would add to that pile. 🙂
I do love popcorn and candy corn and marshmallows so when The Marshmallow Studio sent me a box of sugary goodness I couldn’t wait to start working on some recipes for Halloween.I started with Jet-Puffed Jumbo Pumpkin Marshallows.
Candy Corn Pumpkin Spice Popcorn Balls are very easy (but sticky and messy) to make. They come together quickly and would be great for school Halloween parties, especially if you’re a nut free school. If school’s do that sort of thing anymore. I think I remember my daughter having a “harvest” party instead of Halloween one year. It was right up there with the year they sang Yankee Doodle at the holiday concert in December….three days before Christmas. Yankee Doodle. I’m still confused by it.
Back to the treats that will require a lot of floss and good dental hygiene. The Jet-Puffed Jumbo Pumpkin Marshmallows are adorable on their own and I can’t wait to try them out in another recipe this week! If you come across them, pick up a bag so you can toss some in a post Trick or Treat hot cocoa.If you’re more into a traditional treat…try these chocolate covered Rice Krispie Peeps or take a bite out of a Gingerbread Mummie. Either way, you’ll have something spooktacular to give out this year. And here’s to kids not giving us the side-eye when we toss one of these into their treat bag this year!
Get the Recipe: Candy Corn Pumpkin Spice Popcorn Balls
- 5 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 pound Jet-Puffed Jumbo Pumpkin Marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 12 cups popped popcorn
- 1 1/4 cups candy corn
- In a large heavy bottomed saucepan, melt the butter and the marshmallows stirring with a buttered wooden spoon constantly to combine. When the marshmallows are melted add the cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves and mix thoroughly.
- In a large bowl, toss together the popcorn and candy corn. Pour the marshmallow mixture over the popcorn and stir to combine making sure coat all the popcorn and candy.
- Using buttered hands, form the popcorn into baseball sized balls and place on waxed paper until firm.
- Store in an airtight container for up to two days. (They do become a little stale after that.)
- Disclaimer: The Marshmallow Studio provided the marshmallows for this post at no cost to me. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely my own.