Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies
If you love Chocolate Covered Cherries…..you will flip for these soft and chewy Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies! They’re so simple to make and soooo totally over the top addicting you’re going to make more than one batch.
Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies
I think it’s important to hand down family favorite recipes. There are so many treats I remember having when I was younger that were only made by a special aunt or family friend…..and now I can’t, for the life of me, find a recipe anywhere. So, I begged my mom to sit down and go through her gigantic recipe box to pull out a few of my favorites so I can start making them for my family.
And boy, did we hit the jackpot. First, my mom’s recipe box is more like a series of crate sized boxes that she has all around the house. They’re filled with handwritten recipe cards and notes on the back of napkins that say things like “Rum, Bananas, Brown Sugar, ketchup.” Seriously, there’s one in there that we have no idea what will come of that mixture but we’re willing to give it a go. In the name of family history.
And then there was this treasure….Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies. It’s sounds just as heavenly as it is. It reminds me of a tender Chocolate Crinkle Cookie with a hint of cherry…..such a fudgy treat to eat I may have eaten 16 of them in the course of 10 minutes. I didn’t even feel bad about it.
What are Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies?
Simply put Chocolate Cherry Cookies are chocolate cookies with a cherry in the middle…..then the cherry is covered in rich, creamy chocolate ganache before being baked to a melty, chocolatey heaven.
These melt in your mouth cookies are tender, sweet and totally amazing. They’re my favorite cookie recipe for the holidays.
Can you freeze Chocolate Cherry Cordial Cookies?
Though I don’t recommend freezing the baked Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookie….and really, you probably won’t want to anyway, they’re that good. You can totally freeze the dough in advance and then, when you’re ready to bake, thaw the dough before assembling the cookies and baking.
How long can you store this Chocolate Cherry Cookies recipe?
These Chocolate Covered Cherries Cookies will last in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. Store the cookies in a container with wax paper or parchment between the layers to they don’t stick together.
How do you make Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies?
Also known as Chocolate Maraschino Cherry Cookies….this recipe is super easy to make from scratch! I added espresso powder to the cookie dough for an extra boost of flavor.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, salt, baking soda, baking powder.
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla to the butter beating to combine.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter and stir to combine.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and place on a cookie sheet.
- Press down the center of the ball with your thumb to create a well.
- Melt the chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Stir in the sweetened condensed milk and maraschino cherry juice.
- Place a cherry in the center of the cookie dough and cover with the chocolate sauce.
- Bake the cookies at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a rack to cool.
More Easy Cookie Recipes
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies are like a food group here.
- Super Easy Gooey Butter Cake Cookies made from scratch!
- We love these Shortbread Candy Cane Cookies.…so fun and easy.
- Massive Chocolate Chip Cookie love right here!
- How about a No Bake Peppermint Bark Cookie just for fun!
No matter what you decide to bake be sure to try these Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies…..they’re so surprisingly amazingly good! And for more easy cookie recipes be sure to follow us over on Instagram!
Get the Recipe: Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp espresso powder
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 4 tsp maraschino cherry juice
- 24 maraschino cherries without stems
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, baking powder and espresso powder. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla. Beat to combine.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and stir to combine.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment. Press the center of each ball down with your thumb to form a well. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt the chocolate until smooth and stir in the sweetened condensed milk. Add the maraschino juice and stir to combine.
- Place a cherry in the center of the cookie and spoon 1 tablespoon of the chocolate sauce over the cherry to cover. Repeat with remaining cookies.
- Bake the cookies for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the cookies to a rack to cool completely to room temperature before moving to an airtight container. Or enjoy immediately.