Chocolate Covered Pretzel Rods
Chocolate Covered Pretzel Rods are easy to make handheld treats that are sure to make you smile! You’ll love dipping and decorating these pretzel rods. Dress them up for any occasion – birthday parties, holidays, or just for fun. They’re a sweet snack that kids love eating AND making with you!
Chocolate Covered Pretzel Rods
Dip, drizzle, decorate, and repeat. Those are the only steps you need to follow in order to make these easy-peasy Chocolate Covered Pretzel Rods! If you’ve never snacked on one of these treats before, you’re totally missing out. It’s a crunchy, salty, and sweet snack that is equal parts simple and quick.
You can make a big batch of Chocolate Covered Pretzel Rods for pretty much any celebration… Or just because you feel like it! Sprinkle them with red and green sprinkles to serve at your next Christmas party. Add a dash of rainbow sprinkles or multi-colored little candies for a birthday party. You can even nix the sprinkles entirely and just decorate them with a drizzle of white chocolate if you’d like!
You only need a handful of inexpensive ingredients to make these little snacks. Pretzel rods, chocolate and white chocolate melting wafers, and any toppings you’d like to sprinkle on are the only items you need to add to your shopping list for this recipe. It’s a budget-friendly treat recipe that’s always a huge hit! Oh, and don’t forget the piping bags so you can really get that perfect drizzle.
How to Make Chocolate Covered Pretzel Rods
If you have any little ones running around the house, they’ll love helping you make this kid-friendly recipe!
- Prepare. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- Microwave the chocolate. Heat the chocolate melting wafers in the microwave until smooth. You’ll want to zap it for about 30 seconds, stir, and repeat until no lumps remain.
- Dip the pretzels. Pour the melted chocolate into a drinking glass. Dip each pretzel rod into the chocolate, leaving a little bare space at the bottom to hold. Allow any excess to drip off before you place each dripped pretzel onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Drizzle! Melt the white chocolate the same way you did the plain chocolate. Transfer the melted white chocolate into a piping bag. Drizzle each pretzel rod with a zig zag pattern.
- Decorate. While the chocolate is still fairly wet, add any sprinkles, nuts, or candies that you’d like.
- Let them set. No need to make room in the fridge! These pretzels just need to sit at room temperature for about 30-40 minutes to fully set.
How long will Chocolate Covered Pretzel Rods stay fresh?
In an airtight container at room temperature, these chocolate covered treats will stay fresh for up to 10 days. That’s a huge reason why I love gifting them around the holidays! When you give them away as a gift to friends, family, neighbors, or anyone else who deserves a little holiday cheer, they stay fresh for almost 2 weeks. They’re the gift that keeps on giving!
Do I have to use melting wafers?
I like to use melting wafers for this recipe because they tend to be the easiest chocolates to work with. However, you can feel free to use a good quality chocolate bar instead. Chop it up and melt it the same way in the microwave.
Or you can temper chocolate using a double boiler.
Bring about an inch of water in a saucepan to a boil over medium heat. Turn the heat to low and place a bowl over the water being sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Add the chocolate to the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow the chocolate to melt and then stir until smooth. Use the chocolate as directed in the recipe.
What if I don’t have a piping bag?
No piping bag? No worries! All you need for the perfect white chocolate drizzle is a plastic sandwich bag with the corner cut off of it. Works like a charm every time!
If you’re a chocolate lover, you need to check out more of my favorite treat recipes!
Get the Recipe: Chocolate Covered Pretzel Rods Recipe
- 2 cups Chocolate Melting Wafers, or good quality chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup White Chocolate Melting Wafers, or good quality white chocolate, chopped
- 12 Pretzel Rods
- 1/2 cup assorted sprinkles, nuts, chopped candy, optional
- Piping Bags or plastic sandwich bags, for piping
- 1 piping bag
- 1 microwave safe bowl
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- Place the dark chocolate into a microwave safe bowl and melt in the microwave in 30 second increments at high power stirring between each until melted.
- Pour the melted chocolate into a tall drinking glass and place on a flat surface.
- Dip a pretzel rod into the chocolate to coat 3/4 of the pretzel and allow the excess to drip off.
- Place the chocolate dipped pretzel on the baking sheet and repeat with the remaining pretzels.
- Melt the white chocolate, if using, in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in the microwave in 30 second increments at high power stirring between each until melted.
- Place the piping bag in a glass (this is to hold it upright, hands free) and pour the white chocolate into the bag.
- Snip off the end of the bag and drizzle the white chocolate over the pretzels in a zig zag pattern.
- Decorate with sprinkles, nuts, candy, etc, if desired.
- Allow the pretzels to set for 30-40 minutes at room temperature.
- Transfer to individual bags or a zip top bag to store for up to 10 days at room temperature.