Cobb Salad is a classic tossed salad that features filling and flavorful ingredients like hard boiled eggs, chicken, bacon, and so much more! What really sends this salad recipe over the top is the homemade dressing that’s delightfully creamy and freshly flavored with herbs and tangy lime. This might just be the most satisfying salad recipe EVER!
A bed of leafy greens is all dressed up with plenty of protein, veggies, cheese, and a homemade creamy dressing. This is NOT the Cobb Salad you’re used to seeing served in a plastic box on your lunch break! I feel like those infamous pre-packaged salads from various cafeterias in schools and workplaces have given this iconic salad such a bad reputation.
When made correctly, a good chicken Cobb Salad is anything but boring. Between the bites of crumbled blue cheese, bacon, and seasoned chicken, your craving for real flavor will surely be satisfied.
A Cobb Salad is really the best of both worlds, because it’s both flavorful AND better for you than so many other lunch options! There’s a medley of veggies in the mix here that help you get your vitamin fix for the day.
There’s a reason why Cobb Salad is so timeless. When it comes to lunch, it’s always going to be an option on so many menus! It just checks all of the right boxes for a midday meal.
It’s flavorful, so it satisfies your cravings, and it’s filling while still being light and fresh enough to not weigh you down. Oh, and my easy dressing recipe? Swoon. You’ll never buy a bottle of dressing for Cobb Salad again!
How to Make Cobb Salad
Homemade Cobb Salad may require a little more effort than shake and go salads, but the filling and flavor-packed results are SO worth it! This is a salad that actually satisfies.
- Cook the chicken. Season your chicken, then cook it in a pan over medium-high heat with butter. Cook it for about 7-8 minutes per side or until fully cooked.
- Assemble the salad. Start with a bed of rinsed lettuce. Top it off with sliced chicken breasts and all of the other remaining ingredients. Sprinkle with cheese and sprouts as a final touch of toppings.
- Make the Cobb Salad dressing. Blend all of the measured ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Serve with the salad either drizzled on top or served on the side.
Pro tip – Have your ingredients prepped and ready to go so you can easily and quickly assemble the salad. I recommend using easy recipes like Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs and Microwaved Bacon to help you save some time.
What is Cobb dressing made of?
Cobb salad dressing is made with a medley of fresh and creamy ingredients. Let’s take a look at what you’ll need to toss into your food processor:
- Plain Low Fat Green Yogurt – Make sure it’s PLAIN. You don’t want a hint of something like vanilla in your dressing.
- Buttermilk – Did you know you can make your own buttermilk by combining 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice with 1 cup of milk? It’s a nifty little hack that’ll prevent you from buying a whole container of buttermilk you may not need.
- Lime – You’ll need both the juice and zest of 1 fresh lime.
- Herbs – Fresh dill and parsley lend the best herbaceous flavor to the dressing.
- Low Fat Milk
- Garlic – Fresh garlic is so much better than pre-minced in this naturally flavored salad dressing.
- Seasonings – A simple medley of onion powder, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper help to enhance the bold ingredients in the salad.
Toss together more of the BEST easy salad recipes!
- Loaded Iceberg Wedge Salad
- Caribbean Jerk Chicken Cobb Salad
- Green Goddess Salad
- Easy Broccoli Salad with Bacon
- Chefs Salad
Get the Recipe: Chicken Cobb Salad Recipe
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 pound bacon, chopped and cooked until crispy
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce, rinsed and patted dry
- 3 hard boiled eggs, quartered
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 cups sliced cucumber
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup sprouts
Cobb Salad Dressing
- 1/2 cup plain low fat greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons low fat milk
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Kosher sat and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 blender or food processor
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with a paper towel.
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Season both sides of the chicken with the mixture.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken to the pan and cook for 7-8 minutes or until golden brown. Flip the chicken and cook on the opposite side until cooked through and the chicken registers 165˚F on an instant read thermometer.
- Transfer to a cutting board and cool to room temperature.
- Rinse and spin dry the lettuce. Arrange in an even layer on a platter.
- Slice the chicken breasts and top the lettuce with the chicken.
- Arrange the remaining salad ingredients over the lettuce.
- Sprinkle the cheese and sprouts over the salad.
To make the dressing:
- Add all the dressing ingredients to a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
- Serve the dressing with the salad.