Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Ready when you are, Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup is the fix it and forget it meal for busy weeknight dinners! Rich and creamy, this Chicken Pot Pie Soup recipe is hearty and filling. Made with ingredients you already have in your kitchen, so no extra trip to the store needed.
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
With the school year in full swing, we’re always looking for easy, peasy meals that are ready for dinner when we are. That’s when I dust off the trusty CrockPot to get a jump on things early in the day so we have a hot home cooked meal when we’re ready to wind down.
This Chicken Pot Pie Soup recipe is one of my absolute favorite dinners because it’s pretty much ready when I walk in the door. I featured it first over on Spend with Pennies during the summer months.
Slow cooker, Crock Pot, Instant Pot….whatever you’ve got, this easy Pot Pie Soup is one of the greatest recipes to come out of it. My kids absolutely love it and it’s been on constant repeat for years. A definite tried and true recipe you’ll add to your weekly meal plan.
What is Chicken Pot Pie Soup?
Chicken Pot Pie is one of the ultimate comfort foods. Tender, melt in your mouth chicken is simmered in a creamy sauce swimming in vegetables. Baked into a flakey pie crust, this is just happiness bite after bite.
Just like your favorite Chicken Pot Pie….but not actually baked into a pie, this crockpot Chicken Pot Pie Soup recipe is an easier way to enjoy a classic without fussing with a pie crust. The boneless, skinless chicken breast and veggies are slow cooked in a crock pot until tender, then topped with a sprinkle of pie crust “crackers”.
How To Make It
- Chicken is slow cooked along with onions, garlic and chicken stock in your crock pot until fork tender before being shredded into bite sized pieces.
- Frozen peas and carrots are then stirred in with half and half to finish things off.
- While the soup is cooking, bake up your pie crust until crispy and golden.
- Just before serving, crumble the pie crust and sprinkle over top along with fresh herbs, if desired.
A lot of people make chicken pot pie with cream of chicken soup, but this from scratch chicken pot pie version is just as easy! I promise you that!
How To Make The Pie Crust
Making crust for Chicken Pot Pie or Chicken Pot Pie Soup is so super simple. I like to use THIS flakey pie crust recipe and omit the sugar but if you’re in a pinch you can totally just use your favorite refrigerated pie crust.
I make my pie crust in the food processor with just a few simple ingredients so you a totally pull it off just as quickly as you would if you ran to the store to buy a refrigerated crust.
And you can always make the pie crust dough in advance to make dinner come together even easier. Just add that step to your weekly meal prep.
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Soup is one of my favorite cold weather dinners, but we also love it all year long because it’s so spectacularly easy to make! It’s also great to make a double or triple batch of healthy soup if your slow cooker can handle the load, to freeze for even FASTER weeknight dinners.
It’s, seriously, one of my favorite boneless chicken breast recipes ever.
How To Freeze It
When I freeze my Chicken Pot Pie Soup straight out of the crock pot, I like to portion it out in to individual servings. This way it’s easy to grab one from the freezer to heat up for a quick lunch or dinner on a busy weeknight.
Store it in an airtight container and freeze for up to 6 months.
And if you’re a meal prep pro like me, I like to bake the pie crust a few days ahead, crumble it up and store it in a zip top bag so it saves me an extra step right before meal time.
More Chicken Breast Recipes
This chicken soup is my go-to when time is crunched and I don’t have time to whip up my other favorite, Skillet Chicken Pot Pie.
Plus, when you make this soup recipe in the slow cooker….it’s essentially a one pot meal….so one pot to clean. And if you’re looking for another quick and easy dinner for time pressed weeknight dinners…..this Chicken and Dumplings Skillet Casserole is as amazing as it gets.
Quick and comforting…..I mean, those biscuits on top are a meal all by themselves. Don’t you agree?
If you really want another soup recipe to tuck under your belt, this easy Chicken Tortellini Soup is nothing short of amazing. Or just go for simple and make the best ever Baked Chicken Breast. It’s sooooo simple.
Get the Recipe: Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup half and half
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1 refrigerated pie crust optional
- In the bottom of the slow cooker, layer the onions, celery and garlic cloves. Place the chicken breasts on top of the vegetables and pour the stock over the chicken. Sprinkle the chicken with thyme, salt and pepper.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook for 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred into bite-sized pieces with a fork. Return to the slow cooker. Stir in the peas and carrots.
- Whisk the half and half together with the cornstarch. Pour the mixture into the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cook for an additional 20 minutes.
- If using pie crust, while the soup is still cooking, roll out a refrigerated pie crust on a baking sheet coated with parchment paper and bake according to package instructions. Cool to room temperature and break up into bite sized pieces.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the pie crust crumbles. Sprinkle with parsley and fresh thyme, if desired. Serve immediately.