Creamy Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup
Creamy Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup is one of the easiest and most flavorful soups you’ll ever make. Packed with roasted chicken, fire-roasted tomatoes, garlic, kale and cheese tortellini…..this velvety soup recipe will be on repeat all year long.
It hardly feels like soup weather here today…..the temperature reached a sweltering 80 degrees here in the ‘burbs and we were soaking it all up as much as we could. I had the windows open and pranced around the kitchen in a sleeveless shirt praying that the groundhog got his weather prediction all wrong this year. How could it possibly still be winter? Is the temperature really going to plummet 40 degrees or more overnight? I certainly hope not because this girl has been struck with major spring fever. But I know that this mid-winter thaw is just a little glimpse of spring and we will return to our regularly gloomy, gray winter days in a matter of hours. And that’s why…..I’m still making soup recipes. And you’re going to love this Creamy Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup recipe I’m sharing today! I gave everyone over on an Instagram a sneak peek yesterday and the consensus is…..it’s a keeper!
It’s been awhile since I made a recipe just for us….not for a brand or because it seemed to be the trendy thing to do. Basically, I was hungry and I was hungry for tortellini….but not a big bowl of just tortellini, I wanted protein in there….and I wanted a creamy tomato sauce but not marinara….something brothy but not too brothy….I wanted substance….and something healthy to make me feel like I was nourishing my body because I’m feeling malnourished lately….because cupcakes have been my source of sustenance for the past two weeks. So, I added kale to the mix and garlic because everything that has tomatoes in it should also have garlic….you still with me? Good…so that’s how this Creamy Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup came to be. And I am happy to say that this is one of the BEST recipes I have made in a VERY long time. It’s made me so excited and proud and almost giddy to post if for you.
And this Tortellini soup couldn’t be easier…..or FASTER to make! I had the whole shebang finished and on the table in about 40 minutes, that included cooking the chicken! If you want to make this glorious soup recipe even faster you can totally use your leftover chicken from your Sunday dinner or just grab a rotisserie chicken up at the grocery store on the way home from work.
This Creamy Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup recipe is just as easy and flavorful last this Italian Sausage Soup that I’ve been making for years and everyone always asks for the recipe. It’s a close tie for first place with this Creamy Chicken Soup with Artichokes and Mushrooms……and this Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup recipe. You might as well add all of them to your weekly rotation for one epic soup week since we still have several weeks of winter left. Ugh. Whyyyyyy?
Creamy Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup Recipe
Rich, velvety and comforting, this Creamy Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup is quick and easy to make with a few pantry staples.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 14.5 ounce cans diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- 9 ounces refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups chopped kale
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven or stock pot over medium/high heat.
- Add the onion to the pot and cook until softened, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the Italian seasoning and tomato paste, stirring to combine. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes longer or until the tomato paste begins to turn a deep burgundy color.
- Add the wine to the pot and using a wooden spoon, scrape up the brown bits on the bottom of the pot. Bring to a boil and cook until reduced by half.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken stock and chicken to the pot stirring to combine. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low.
- Stir in the tortellini and cook for 7 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the half and half and cheese, then add the kale. Simmer for an additional 1-2 minutes then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with extra parmesan cheese, if desired.
Best if served immediately. If you serve later and the broth has absorbed into the tortellini, add approximately 1 cup extra chicken stock to the soup when you reheat it.