Funfetti Coffee Cake Muffins with Lemon Glaze
Celebrate every morning with easy to make Funfetti Coffee Cake Muffins with Lemon Glaze. Made with coconut oil, greek yogurt and topped with a buttery streusel, these muffins will make early mornings a little easier to wake up to. Great for brunch, breakfast or snacks.
Waking up…sometimes it’s hard to do, especially when you were up late watching Bachelor in Paradise with your NOW twenty year old daughter. Today’s her birthday and she’s no longer a little girl. She’s no longer a teenager…she’s now in her twenties. Sheesh…where did the time go??? To her, she’s a full-blown adult….to me, she’s still not a full-blown adult. I don’t really think you’re an adult with adult-like tendencies until you’re well into your 30’s. I think back to my 20’s and shudder a bit…..those antics didn’t end until into my 30’s. So, I think of the things she’s out doing with her friends….those things I don’t want to know about and pour myself a glass of wine….or gin….or mix the two together. Then I go bake some muffins.
Muffins to celebrate another year of life, another gift of getting older, wiser while leaving bad choices, friends and fashion behind us. Time is a great gift. Time gives you the opportunity to start new things, make new friends and try new foods. It allows you to forget things that don’t need to be remembered and it gives you the opportunity to create the life you really want…like multiple do-overs. It’s cool really, because you can do anything you want with your time to make your life as amazing or as boring as you’d like. Want to binge watch Netflix all day??? It’s your time. Climb a mountain, ride the waves, bake a tasty treat….it’s your time.
Back to the muffins because I know that’s why you’re hear in the first place….you were spending your time on Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest and came here because you saw these colorful, festive treats. And here I am giving everyone a lesson in time….instead of telling you that these muffins are the bomb. They’re a little healthier than the standard muffin in that I used coconut oil instead of vegetable oil and added some Greek yogurt for a little tang. What you get is a moist, fluffy muffin studded with a rainbow of sprinkles….then I topped it with a buttery streusel topping and drizzled them with an easy lemon glaze. The best part about this recipe is…you can make 48 mini muffins….24 standard sized muffins or ONE BIG CAKE! It’s your time…it’s your choice.
A few tips about making these the most epically amazing Funfetti Coffee Cake Muffins ever:
- Use the best ingredients you can find…I use Plugra butter (ALWAYS) and Nielsen-Massey Lemon Extract
- Be sure to whisk the dry ingredients together first….this is your “sifting”. I prefer to aerate my dry ingredients with a whisk because I don’t feel like cleaning a sifter.
- Don’t get lazy when combining the dry/wet ingredients. Be sure to alternate both for a light, fluffy batter.
- DO NOT USE BLACK SPRINKLES. Black sprinkles = Gray Cake
Ok, so….who’s ready to celebrate Katie’s birthday with me? Or back to school? Or the fact that it’s Tuesday? Because I have a drink for that too. 🙂 And since Katie’s not 21 yet, I’ll just make her this smoothie instead. Happy 20th Birthday, Katie!
Funfetti Coffee Cake Muffins with Lemon Glaze
- 1 1/2 cups plain fat free greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour divided (I use Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles divided
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter softened (I use Plugra)
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract I use Nielsen-Massey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a mini muffin tin, standard muffin tin or a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 3 cups of flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter, coconut oil and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time until thoroughly combined. Add the dry ingredients to the batter alternatively with the yogurt mixture until well combined. Stir in the vanilla. Turn off the mixer and fold in 1 cup of sprinkles with a rubber spatula.
- Pour the batter into the muffin tin or baking dish. Using a fork or pastry cutter, blend together the sugar, butter, remaining flour and sprinkles. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the muffins or cake. Bake for 40 -45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool for 20 minutes before serving.
- While the cake is cooling, whisk together the confectioners' sugar, milk and lemon extract until smooth. Drizzle the mixture over the muffins and allow to set approximately 30 minutes. Can be served immediately or the muffins/cake can be made up to 24 hours in advance and stored in an airtight container at room temperature.