Easy Funfetti Cookies Recipe
It’s a birthday somewhere so celebrate with this Easy Funfetti Cookie recipe from scratch! All the flavor of Funfetti Birthday Cake packed into a bite sized cookie covered in rainbow sprinkles. This flavorful cookie will have you looking for reasons to celebrate.
It’s my birthday…..well, technically, at midnight tonight it will be my birthday and this year doesn’t feel any different than the others. Last year was pretty eye opening in the way of life, love and loss so I plan to live a little more in the present this coming year. And eat more Funfetti everything.
Each year, I’ve been making myself a new Funfetti recipe like this Birthday Cake White Hot Chocolate which tastes just like a melted birthday cake but this year I wanted something I could actually sink my teeth into. So, these Funfetti Cookies were born and I’ve eaten almost all of them myself.
I’m a BIG FAN of all things sprinkles anyway….but, really, we call them jimmies here on the east coast so I should say I’m a big fan of jimmies. Sprinkles and jimmies are actually the same thing and I have no idea why we call them that here. So, if you’re ever here in the east and you hear someone ask for jimmies, you’ll know what they’re talking about. Life lessons here….I’m full of them in my old age.
Funfetti is actually named after a Confetti Cake….which is a vanilla cake with rainbow sprinkles. So, technically, these are Confetti Cookies…or Sprinkles Cookies. But the name Funfetti is way more fun than just a confetti or sprinkle dessert.
So, these Funfetti Cake Cookies are loaded with sprinkles inside and out. Perfect for your next party and they’re made completely from scratch!
HOW TO MAKE FUNFETTI COOKIES
It’s so easy to make these Funfetti Cookies completely from scratch. The dough is actually the same dough I use for these Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies but I added a bit of almond extract to give it that signature birthday cake flavor.
Then, I folded in rainbow sprinkles to the dough so you have that fun rainbow color sprinkled throughout the inside of the cookie.
Next, I rolled the dough into balls and rolled the balls in a bowl full of sprinkles before baking.
The result is a soft and tender cookie loaded with sprinkles! The tanginess of the cream cheese is a great addition to what would be an otherwise super sweet cookie.
If you’re looking for a Funfetti Cake Mix Cookie, you can give this one from Pillsbury a try.
This cookie recipe is so fun to customize, too. If you’re having theme birthday party you can buy sprinkles to coordinate with your color scheme or buy red and green sprinkles to make Christmas Funfetti Cookies!
I plan to use pink, red and white sprinkles to make Valentine Funfetti Cookies this year for Landon’s class party! How fun would that be?
MORE FUNFETTI RECIPES
If you’re looking for even more Funfetti recipes, this Funfetti Birthday Cake from Milk Bar is a HUGE hit and one of the most popular recipes on The Suburban Soapbox. I did make things easier by using a cake mix because it does have a lot of steps but the cake is amazing and always a showstopper.
I also love this Funfetti Cheesecake recipe because it’s a little more grown up….even with the hot pink frosting. It’s super easy to make and one of my favorite ways to celebrate a birthday.
And if you’re hosting a birthday brunch, you definitely need to make these Funfetti Coffee Cake Muffins. They’re a fun way to add a celebratory twist to your usual brunch recipe. And don’t forget this easy Funfetti Puppy Chow! A party pleaser, for sure.
TIPS FOR MAKING FUNFETTI COOKIES
- Be sure to use the longer sprinkles (jimmies) not the nonpareil sprinkles because they tend to bleed and melt into the cookie dough.
- Add the sprinkles to the dough right before baking and stir a few times. Don’t add the sprinkles too soon or they’ll melt into the cookie dough if they sit for a long time.
- Allow your cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Store your funfetti cookies in an airtight container for up to 5 days at room temperature. You can also freeze your funfetti cookies in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
Easy Funfetti Cookies Recipe
- baking sheet
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 cup granulate sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups rainbow sprinkles
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter, cream cheese, sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla, and almond extract. Continue to beat until combined.
- Gradually add the flour and beat until a dough forms.
- Fold in the 1/2 cup sprinkles.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Place the remaining sprinkles in a bowl.
- Roll the dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and roll in the remaining sprinkles to coat.
- Transfer the balls to a baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Bake for approximately 12-13 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.
- Cool on the pan for 2 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.