Pesto Grilled Salmon with Strawberry Cucumber Salsa
If you’re craving a lighter fare that checks all the right boxes, then you need to make this easy Grilled Salmon with Strawberry Cucumber Salsa. Flaky, flavorful salmon served with fresh and fun strawberry cucumber salsa is the perfect summertime dish!
Grilled Pesto Salmon
You know that age old riddle – what came first, the chicken or the egg? I have a new one for you. What gets eaten quicker, the grilled pesto salmon or the fresh strawberry cucumber salsa? We may never know the answer! I swear, I don’t know if I’ve ever had two such delicious items on one plate before. Okay, maybe I have… But once you try this dish you’ll see why I’m so blown away!
The salmon is fresh with pesto flavor, but is also lightly smokey from the grill. The two contrasting flavors meld together with the flaky, warm salmon to create one seriously unbelievable bite.
As if that wasn’t enough, the salsa spread on top of each filet is sure to make your mouth water with bursting fresh flavors! Strawberry, cucumber, onions and basil mix together to create a salsa so good, you’ll want to just eat it with a spoon. I won’t judge you for sneaking a little bite while the salmon cooks, that’s for sure.
With summer already half way over, you need to make this bright and fun dish ASAP! Before we know it, we’ll all be back to making stews, roasts, and all kinds of autumnal dishes. It’s time to enjoy the flavors of juicy strawberries and grilled pesto salmon before we all start decorating Halloween cupcakes, am I right?
With how quickly this year seems to be flying by, I know that I certainly enjoy firing up the grill and really savoring each and every bite of this incredible summery salmon dinner.
How to Make Grilled Salmon
- Prepare the salmon. Season easy salmon filet with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Coat each piece of salmon with the basil pesto and set aside.
- Grill the salmon. Place the salmon the grill, skin side down (or bottom down, if skinless) and cook for 5 minutes. Flip the salmon over and grill for an additional 5 minutes or until the salmon flakes easily with a fork. Transfer the fork to a plate and over with foil.
- Make the salsa. In a small bowl, toss the strawberries, cucumbers, onions and basil.
- Assemble and serve. Divide the salsa over the salmon evenly and drizzle with balsamic glaze, if using. Serve immediately.
I like to use my homemade Basil Pesto for this recipe but your favorite jarred pesto will work well, too!
If you don’t want to make the strawberry salsa, this Mango Salsa works beautifully!
Can I use frozen strawberries?
Here’s the thing – if you’re making this salsa during the spring or summer, you have no reason to use frozen berries! Those warm months are when strawberries are at their ripest and juiciest, so enjoy them nice and fresh. However, if you really can’t get your hands on any fresh strawberries, you can use frozen. Just make sure they’re completely thawed before using, and you may want to drain some of their excess juices that release as they thaw.
How else can I use strawberry cucumber salsa?
Once you try a bite, you’ll be wanting to enjoy this salsa all the time! It’s great on grilled chicken breasts, on top of a salad, or even as a little midday snack. I’d love to know what creative ways you find to enjoy this bright and tasty salsa!
What should I serve this salmon and salsa with?
I love serving this dish with a side salad to keep things light! However, it’s also great when paired with rice or your favorite pasta. And if you want to keep your plate as summery as possible, consider serving this salmon and salsa with Summer Corn Succotash. No matter how you serve this easy dinner, you’re going to love it!
More Easy Salmon Recipes
Get the Recipe: Grilled Pesto Salmon with Strawberry Cucumber Salsa
- 1-1 1/2 pounds salmon filet, cut into four pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup Basil Pesto Sauce
- 1 cup strawberries, diced
- 1 cup diced English cucumber
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- Balsamic Glaze, optional
- Season easy salmon filet with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Coat each piece of salmon with the basil pesto and set aside.
- Heat the grill to medium heat.
- Place the salmon the grill, skin side down (or bottom down, if skinless) and cook for 5 minutes.
- Flip the salmon over and grill for an additional 5 minutes or until the salmon flakes easily with a fork.
- Transfer the fork to a plate and over with foil.
- In a small bowl, toss the strawberries, cucumbers, onions and basil.
- Divide the salsa over the salmon evenly and drizzle with balsamic glaze, if using.
- Serve immediately