The Very Best Shrimp Ceviche Recipe
This Easy Shrimp Ceviche recipe is the best dish for summer. Cool, light and refreshing, easy Shrimp Ceviche is made with just a few simple ingredients creating a flavor explosion for your tastebuds. Fresh cooked shrimp, crisp veggies, buttery avocado are all tossed in a light dressing for an easy dish that is great as a dip or a light summer salad.
I’m a huge fan of making shrimp dishes on the regular because shrimp cooks quickly, allowing me to get dinner on the table in a hurry. These Shrimp Tostados are on regular rotation lately because they take minutes to prepare and I only have pan to clean. And when I’m entertaining, I love to serve up these Garlic Roast Shrimp Cocktail because shrimp soaks up all the flavors when you cook them making it a pleasant surprise from the usual shrimp cocktail recipes. And also….one pan to clean.
But the winner of all shrimp dishes has got to be this quick easy Shrimp Ceviche recipe because…..no cooking required.The flavor is out of this world and it takes just minutes of hands on time. AND you only have one bowl to clean. I thought about how to make shrimp ceviche in the easiest way I possibly could!
WHAT IS SHRIMP CEVICHE?
Traditional ceviche is a South American dish of raw seafood tossed in an acidic marinade like citrus juice or vinegar which “cooks” the fish. I first fell in love with ceviche while on vacation in Mexico, it was light and refreshing which was perfect because the heat was insane down there. Their ceviche had a variety of fish and shellfish mixed in with some vegetables.
For my version, I started with cooked shrimp because it helps the recipe come together a lot more quickly AND I like the texture better than when I start with raw shrimp.
I also wanted to punch up the flavor of this best Shrimp Ceviche with avocado recipe a bit more by adding in finely diced jalapeños, chopped jicama for crunchy sweetness and creamy avocado. The traditional flavors are there, as is, the burst of fresh citrus juice that’s a staple in ceviches.
HOW DO YOU MAKE SHRIMP CEVICHE?
This Easy Ceviche Shrimp recipe is so simple to make with just a handful of ingredients. I start with cooked shrimp from my grocer’s seafood counter that’s been peeled and deveined.
I chop the shrimp into 1/2 inch pieces and toss it in a bowl along with a combination of citrus juices like lime, lemon and orange. The orange in the marinade tones down the tartness of the lemon and lime adding a vibrant, freshness you will miss if you skip it.
Then, I let the shrimp marinade in the citrus juice for about 30 minutes while I chop up the vegetables. For this Shrimp Ceviche recipe, I use tomatoes, jalapeños, jicama, cilantro and red onion.
If you’re looking for something a little on the mild side, you can substitute the jalapeño for a bell pepper or skip it altogether. I just like a little heat in my ceviche recipes but it’s not a total necessity.
And if you’re wondering what jicama is, it’s a crispy root vegetable also known as a Mexican turnip that looks like potato. They’re usually found with the avocados and other ethnic produce at your local grocery store. They taste a bit like an apple with a similar texture so if you can’t find them at your store you can substitute a peeled and chopped apple, any variety will work but I would lean towards a Granny Smith for the tartness alone.
I have had traditional ceviche recipes in Mexico and I have to say that THIS recipe blows away anything I’ve had anywhere else. So, you can say I’m saving you some airfare because you can make this Classic Mexican Shrimp Ceviche recipe right in your very own kitchen.
I like to make a big batch of this easy shrimp ceviche when I have friends over and serve with a bowl full of tortilla chips so guests can dig right in. Or I just pile a few spoonfuls right onto a romaine leaf, taco style, for a light lunch or dinner.
And if you’re working on your weekly meal planning….you should definitely add this easy Shrimp Fried Rice or my favorite Singapore Rice Noodles with Shrimp….both are take out fake outs that will save you time AND money!
EASY SHRIMP CEVICHE RECIPE
- 1 lb cooked shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice about two lemons
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice about 3 limes
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 4 whole plum tomatoes seeds removed and diced
- 2 whole jalapeno peppers seeds and vein removed, minced
- 1 cup diced jicama or diced peeled apple
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 avocado pitted and diced
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- Chop the shrimp into 1/2 inch pieces and transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon, lime and orange juice to combine. Pour 1/2 cup of the citrus juice over the shrimp and toss to combine. Allow the shrimp to marinade in the juice for 15 minutes.
- Add the tomato, jalapeño, jicama (or apple), cilantro and red onion to the shrimp. Toss the ingredients to combine and allow to marinade for an additional 10 minutes. Stir in the avocado and remaining juices.
- Season the ceviche with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately with tortilla chips, if desired.
- RECIPE NOTES
- Do not use lemon, lime or orange juice from a container. Fresh squeezed is recommended for best results.
- Shrimp Ceviche is best enjoyed the same day it's made.
Do not use lemon, lime or orange juice from a container. Fresh squeezed is recommended for best results. Shrimp Ceviche is best enjoyed the same day it's made.