Grilled Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by VELVEETA®. All opinions are my own.
Cheesy nirvana on top of a grilled pizza crust! Grilled Philly Cheesesteak Pizza has all the makings of the classic Philly cheesesteak but made just for summer by grilling the entire thing right on the grill rack. Crispy and incredibly amazing.
Just in case you were wondering which ‘burb I reside in…the secret’s out. I’m a Philly ‘burbs girl all the way. Born here…moved for a bit…back with a vengeance, I love everything about my town and the city I live near. Philadelphia is my home and it’s a short drive away. The Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, insanely spectacular restaurants and cheesesteaks. The cheesesteaks are killer.
And my loyalty lies with one of two (and sometimes a third) cheesesteak shops in South Philly….I’m a Pats fan through and through. I haven’t even ventured over to the other corner to see what that’s all about…it’s just a little too flashy for my taste. I’ll stick with the tried and true and know that every time I go, I’m in for the best cheesesteak ever. Extra cheese…wit. That’s what I order every.single.time. (Extra cheese….”with” onions…just in case I lost you back there.) It’s superb. 🙂
I couldn’t wait to try a pizza in the true Philly style. On the grill…because it’s summer. And less dishes. And because pizza crust should be made on the grill. It creates a crispy, charred crust like no other and is the closest thing I know to a wood-fired pizza crust. The crunch is simply irresistible. It goes so well with a big pile of Grilled Honey Habanero Wings and would be perfect for tailgating in the fall. (Bookmark it for later, my friends!)
Using as few ingredients as possible, I wanted to get as close to a true Philly cheesesteak as I could so I used a very thinly sliced rib-eye steak. You can get your butcher to slice is thin like a chip steak or you can put it in the freezer for 15 minutes and slice it yourself. The freezer method firms it up perfectly making it easier to slice thinly against the grain (against the grain is important to avoid chewy meat.) I sautéed some finely diced onions and a bit of green pepper. Just five ingredients (and a few staples) for this beauty. Now, cheesesteak purists…I know green peppers are a big no-no…but really, we’re making a pizza here and they are amazing in this recipe so let’s just go with it. Shall we?
I topped my pizza with some shredded VELVEETA® because it melts so beautifully creating that Liquid Gold topping we all know and love in our cheesesteaks. It was the perfect match for the onions, steak and peppers. And that crust….it’s the best delivery system for getting it into your mouth as quickly as possible. You can share if you want….if you’re nice like that.
- One refrigerated pizza dough Pre-made or you can use my Fail-Proof Pizza Dough recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 8 ounces thinly sliced ribeye steak
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper finely diced
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded VELVEETA® loaf
- Preheat grill.
- Divide the pizza dough in half and roll out to 1/4 inch thickness. Lightly brush both crusts with 1/2 a tablespoon olive oil each. Set aside.
- In a medium saute pan, brown the steak until no longer pink. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and keep warm. Pour off the fat in the pan and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Return the pan to the heat, add the onions and peppers cooking until softened. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the steak back to the pan and remove from the heat. Toss to combine.
- Place the dough directly on the grill grates oil sides down. Turn the heat to low and brush the tops with the remaining oil. Cook until the dough starts to puff up and is easy to remove from the grill. Using a spatula, flip the dough over and top with the steak mixture. Sprinkle the Velveeta over the pizza and close the grill. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the Velveeta is melted. Transfer to a serving platter, slice and serve immediately.
VELVEETA® lovers know it as Liquid Gold, and it has been a favorite of families since 1928. Known for its smooth, creamy texture and perfect melt, you can use VELVEETA® in a variety of recipes – and strike Liquid Gold.