Zucchini Tart with Sweet Corn, Basil and Parmesan
Paper thin slices of zucchini are nestled in a light and airy puff pastry crust creating a beautiful summer tart. Topped with sweet corn, parmesan cheese and a garlic basil butter, one bite will reconfirm that summer baking is the best.
I bet one of you has a zucchini lying around your kitchen…or in your garden…or one will show up very soon from a neighbor who got overzealous with the garden this year. I always find it hilarious at the end of the summer when I walk into someone’s home and they have 12 zucchini piled high on their kitchen counter. One peak into their yard and, guaranteed, they have a vegetable garden just bursting at the seams with zucchini. It’s like my mint field….it will overtake your yard when you’re not looking. All the sudden you have miles of zucchini vine and stalks of mint everywhere you turn. So, gifts of zucchini are, sometimes, the only way out from under the pile of green.
One can only eat zucchini bread so many ways. So, last year I made this Spiced Zucchini Cake with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting to help with the gifted zucchini I had amassed. And I made an Asian Style Zucchini Noodle Salad with is pretty fantabulous, if I do say so myself. (Well…I did…I said so myself.) And then I dabbled with a few tarts, some were amazing…some went right in the trash (zucchini and grapes…no good.) This Zucchini Tart with Sweet Corn, Basil and Parmesan is a definite winner and should be on your summer menu all season. It’s super simple to make using a ready made puff pastry and the bounty of your garden. It’s the perfect light lunch….if you can manage to share with others.
It takes me about 10 minutes to assemble the tart, including the time it takes to slice the zucchini and remove the corn from the cob. I melt a little…ok, a lot of butter, in the microwave with a bit of chopped basil and garlic to create a flavorful butter. After you roll out the pastry onto a parchment lined baking sheet, you’ll brush some of the butter right onto the dough leaving a 1/4 inch border. Arrange your zucchini on top of the butter, sprinkle with cheese and corn, drizzle with the remaining butter and voila….a kitchen masterpiece. You may want to frame it after it bakes because it’s simply stunning but I do urge you to cut off a small square and stuff it in your face. You might even enjoy it with a green salad. But that’s just a suggestion.
Get the Recipe: Zucchini Tart with Sweet Corn, Basil and Parmesan
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 3 tablespoons salted butter, I use Plugra
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 ear of corn, shucked and kernels removed from cob
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a parchment lined baking sheet. Using a paring knife, gently score approximately 1/4 inch from the edge to create a border being careful not to cut all the way through.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the butter, basil and garlic. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds or until the butter is melted. Brush half the butter mixture on the puff pastry inside the border. Arrange the zucchini on top of the butter and top with the corn. Sprinkle the parmesan over the tart and drizzle with the remaining butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk the egg yolk with 2 tablespoons of water. Brush the border of the puff pastry with the egg wash and transfer to the oven. Bake 20-25 minutes or until the edges are puffed and golden brown. Transfer to a serving platter and serve warm or at room temperature.
15 Comments on “Zucchini Tart with Sweet Corn, Basil and Parmesan”
Could this be any more gorgeous? those fresh squash and zucchini are just divine.
I’ve never had luck with growing zucchini haha but I dad have a friend bring be some yesterday! Perfect timing!
this is a great way to use up all the summer zucchini
YES! I love everything about this! So fresh and healthy!
Our garden is about to explode with squash and zucchini….perfect timing – this looks delicious!
This is a great way to use up all my farm stand veg!
This is so beautiful – summer on a flaky crust! I’ve been gathering zucchini recipes lately, and this one is going to the top of the pile.
Oh yes – so many zucchini at this time of year, which means that I’m always looking for new ways to prepare it. This tart looks perfect!
I’m seeing the zucchini plants pop up in my neighborhood and I’m like ooh they are going to be sick of zucchini soon! This tart looks great and I love the addition of corn!
This is perfect timing for me. I have friends coming over for dinner Monday night and this gorgeous and easy zucchini tart just got added to my menu.
I had to follow up because I made this tonight and everyone LOVED it! Thanks for a delicious recipe!!
Thanks so much, Betsy! I’m glad everyone enjoyed it…it’s one of my favorites!
Tonight one of our dinner. This is very good ! Easy and tasty . Thank you so much !! I’m gonna repeat .
Why so many pop-ups? Makes me not want to visit your site again. 🙁
I’m sorry, Lori….the ads help me cover the cost of the website so I can continue to provide you with free recipes. If I get rid of the ads I would have to charge a subscription fee for readers to access the recipes. I apologize for your inconvenience.