Grilled Shrimp Tacos
These grilled Shrimp Tacos are easy to make and bursting with flavor! Shrimp are tossed with bold seasonings like cayenne powder and garlic powder before being grilled to tender perfection. I think my favorite part, though, is the pineapple jalapeño slaw they’re served with!
How is fall almost here already?! Before my kitchen becomes consumed with all things pumpkin and comforting, I’m dying to keep my grill fired up for summery recipes like this one. Grilled shrimp tacos are seriously one of my favorite summertime recipe! Shrimp are seasoned with a bold blend of spices and grilled for just a few minutes until they’re tender and juicy.
The shrimp themselves aren’t what seal the deal on that signature summertime flavor, though. The pineapple jalapeño slaw is what sends these tacos right over the top! Fresh pineapple, jalapeños, bell peppers and cabbage are tossed together with lime juice to create the most deliciously fresh and vibrant flavor. The way that the slaw compliments the seasoned shrimp is pretty perfect.
I also happen to have on very good authority (wink wink) that these tacos pair perfectly with a cold beer or cocktail! Sipping on something like a paloma by the pool while enjoying a grilled shrimp taco is really the best way to relax on a hot summer evening. Oh, and you can’t forget about the avocado slices that get tossed onto the tacos. They really solidify that fresh summery flavor in the best way!
How to Make Shrimp Tacos
Heat up the grill and prepare to make your new favorite summertime entree!
- Prepare the shrimp. Rinse the shrimp in a strainer and pat them dry with a paper towel. Place them in a mixing bowl.
- Season the shrimp. Drizzle some olive oil on the shrimp and toss to coat. Then, mix together all of the seasonings in a separate bowl. Once mixed, toss the shrimp in the seasoning blend.
- Make the slaw. Mix together all of the slaw ingredients in a mixing bowl. Season with a little bit of salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill the shrimp. Place the shrimp on the grill over medium heat for about 1-2 minutes. Flip and continue cooking until done.
- Grill the tortillas. This is the best way to make your tacos taste restaurant-ready! Grill the tortillas until they’re lightly charred.
- Assemble the tacos. Top the warm tortillas with the grilled shrimp, slaw, and fresh avocado slices. Squeeze on some lime juice and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Tips for the Best Shrimp Tacos
Make sure you have the very best tacos every time with these tips and tricks!
- Don’t overcook the shrimp. The shrimp should cook just until they’re no longer translucent and they begin to curl in to a “C” shape. Overcooked shrimp are tough and rubbery – avoid that by taking them of the grill on time!
- Adjust the spice level. There’s just enough cayenne powder on the shrimp to add flavor, but not any serious heat. You can add more cayenne powder and even add some crushed red pepper flakes to increase the heat! As far as the slaw goes, the fresh jalapeños can be made spicier by leaving the seeds in the mix. That’s where most of the heat is. You can even drizzle some hot sauce as a garnish if you’re a big heat lover!
- You can use frozen shrimp. Just make sure to let them slowly thaw in the fridge prior to seasoning and cooking. Never try to season or grill frozen shrimp before they’ve been thawed!
Enjoy more of the best easy shrimp recipes!
Get the Recipe: Grilled Shrimp Taco Recipe
- 1 1/2 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon ground chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 8 small corn or flour tortillas
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 grill or grill pan
- Preheat the grill.
- Rinse and drain the shrimp in a strainer. Pat dry with a paper towel and transfer to a bowl.
- Drizzle the shrimp with the olive oil and toss to coat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, ground pepper and cayenne.
- Pour the seasoning over the shrimp and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the pineapple, jalapeno, bell pepper, cabbage, lime juice and zest. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- Grill the shrimp over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Flip the shrimp and grill until no longer transcluscent. Shrimp should be pink and form the shape of the letter “C”.
- Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Grill the tortillas briefly on each side for 20-30 seconds to warm and slightly char.
- Top the tortillas with shrimp, relish and avocado. Drizzle with lime and serve immediately.