Homemade Mozzarella Sticks
Homemade Mozzarella Sticks are SO easy to make and are always the ultimate crowd-pleasers! Perfect for birthday parties, Superbowl Sunday, or any other occasion you have coming up, these gooey, crispy, fried cheese sticks never fail to satisfy. Don’t forget to serve them with some marinara sauce for dipping!
Homemade Mozzarella Sticks
You deserve so much better than that box of frozen mozzarella sticks from the grocery store. This homemade recipe features all of the flavorful crispy, gooey elements of mozzarella sticks you know and love that the frozen stuff can just never fully satisfy with! While this recipe does require a little bit more elbow grease than just tossing some frozen stuff into the
oven, they’re worth every minute of the work you put into them!
And don’t be mistaken – these bad boys are actually way easier to make than you may think. The cheese sticks are dredged, frozen, then fried to perfection.
That’s really all there is to it! If deep frying makes you a little nervous, fear not. I’ve included plenty of little tips and tricks to make the process nice and easy for you.
The flavor in the breading is another thing that really separates these mozzarella sticks from the bland store-bought stuff. Finely grated parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning mixes perfectly with the crunchy breadcrumbs to create the BEST flavor!
The perfect crunch, the best flavor, and the most delectable cheese pull – what more could you ask for?
How to Make Homemade Mozzarella Sticks
You’ll love how easy it is to make these party appetizers!
- Dredge the cheese sticks. Whisk together the flour and seasonings in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, whisk together the egg and buttermilk. In a third shallow bowl, whisk together the bread crumbs, cheese, and Italian seasoning. Dredge each cheese stick in the flour, then the buttermilk, and the panko mixture to coat.
- Freeze the mozzarella sticks. Arrange the dredged cheese sticks on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Freeze them for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Prepare the oil. When you’re ready to fry the cheese sticks, pour the oil into a large skillet with the garlic cloves and heat over medium high heat. Once the garlic turns golden brown, use a slotted spoon to remove it and discard. This gives the oil a lovely garlicky note!
- Fry the mozzarella sticks. Use a thermometer to check on the oil. Once it reaches 350˚F, carefully add the mozzarella sticks to the oil 2 at a time. Fry the mozzarella sticks until they’re golden brown and no longer frozen, which should only take about 30 seconds to a minute.
- Let them drain excess grease. Use a slotted spoon to remove the mozzarella sticks from the oil. Place them on a baking sheet lined with paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining mozzarella sticks.
Tips for the Best Homemade Mozzarella Sticks
- Work in batches. If you add more than 2 mozzarella sticks at a time to the oil, the temperature of the oil will decrease. If that happens, the sticks will be under-cooked and greasy.
- Don’t let the oil get too hot. If your mozzarella sticks are getting too brown before they are fully cooked, turn the heat down. If the oil gets too hot, they will cook too quickly on the outside before becoming melty, cheesy goodness.
- Don’t skip the freezing step. If you don’t let the cheese sticks freeze for at least an hour, they’ll fall apart and not hold their shape while frying.
- Serve the best sauce. Dip your fried cheese sticks in some No Cook Pizza Sauce or Marinara Sauce!
How to Store Homemade Mozzarella Sticks
- To make them in advance: Once your cheese sticks are frozen, transfer them to an airtight container or zip-top bag and return them to the freezer.
- To freeze already fried mozzarella sticks: Allow the cheese sticks to fully cool to room temperature and transfer them to a zip-top bag. Press out the air and seal the bag. Freeze until ready to cook.
- To reheat frozen, fried mozzarella sticks: Preheat your oven to 350˚F and arrange the cheese sticks on a baking sheet in a single layer. Transfer to the oven and heat until hot and beginning to melt.
Ready to party? Serve the BEST finger food that everyone will love!
Get the Recipe: Homemade Mozzarella Sticks Recipe
- 12 mozzarella string cheese, unwrapped
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 2 cups vegetable oil, or other neutrally flavored oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup pizza sauce, for serving
- 1 skillet
- Whisk together the flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- In a separate shallow bowl, whisk together the egg and buttermilk.
- In a third shallow bowl, whisk together the panko bread crumbs, cheese and Italian seasoning.
- Dredge each cheese stick in the flour, then the buttermilk and lastly the panko mixture to coat.
- Arrange the cheese sticks on a baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Freeze the cheese sticks for 1 hour or overnight.
- When ready to fry, pour the oil in a large skillet with the garlic cloves and heat over medium high heat until the garlic is golden brown. Using a slotted spoon, remove the garlic and discard.
- Once the oil reaches 350˚F, carefully add the mozzarella sticks to the oil 2 at a time. (Adding too many at one time will drop the temperature of the oil significantly.)
- Fry the mozzarella sticks until golden brown and no longer frozen, approximately 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Using a wire spider or slotted spoon, remove the cheese sticks from the oil and transfer to a paper towel lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining mozzarella sticks.
- Serve immediately with pizza sauce or marinara for dipping.