Baked Rotisserie Chicken Tacos
Busy weeknights call for easy dinner ideas – and Baked Rotisserie Chicken Tacos are just the answer you’re looking for! Shredded rotisserie chicken sprinkled with taco seasoning, mixed together with savory onion, spicy salsa, and melty cheese makes for a quick and easy family favorite. This recipe comes together in less than 20 minutes, so it’s sure to become a staple in your weekly routine!
Rotisserie Chicken Tacos
Baked rotisserie chicken tacos are also great for game days, backyard BBQs, potlucks, or even just your typical taco Tuesday. By using a rotisserie chicken, you save time and money – who doesn’t love that? The longest part of this recipe will be separating and shredding your chicken, which is super easy. The rest comes together in no time!
We love tacos (check out these Birria Tacos!) in this household, and I’m always looking for fresh new recipes. While baked rotisserie chicken tacos may not be groundbreaking, it is a tried and true recipe that my family and friends just can’t get enough of. I like to make my own Taco Seasoning Mix instead of using a store bought mix. You really get to customize the flavor and spice that way.
One thing I do to make this recipe stand out even more is topping each taco with crumbled cojita cheese. Cojita cheese is a Mexican cheese with a dry texture similar to feta, and it pairs perfectly with these baked tacos! This particular cheese has the richest salty, yet milky flavor to it that couldn’t be more delicious with the rotisserie chicken and salsa combination.
How to Make Them
These tacos are so easy to pull together. Which is great, because once you make them, you’ll be getting requests for them regularly!
- Preheat. Start by preheating your oven to 400°F.
- Heat the onion. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and add in the onion. Cook for approximately 4-5 minutes, or until the onion is softened but not too soft.
- Stir. Add in the garlic, stir the mixture, and cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Combine. Toss in the shredded rotisserie chicken, taco seasoning, and salsa of your choice. Stir until fully combined.
- Arrange. Now it’s time for the taco shells! Arrange the shells in a baking dish and divide the chicken filling evenly among each taco shell.
- Bake. Before placing the baking dish in the oven, sprinkle Mexican blend cheese over each taco. Then, bake for just 12 minutes.
- Top. Once out of the oven, top the tacos with cilantro and the cojita cheese.
- Serve. As a finishing touch, serve with sour cream, lime, and more salsa, if desired. Now you’re ready to enjoy!
If you have leftover Pollo Asado handy, this makes an excellent substitute for rotisserie chicken. Or you can even make this Shredded Mexican Chicken on the weekend for easy meal prep!
Can I change up the flavors of the baked rotisserie chicken tacos?
Absolutely! The thing I love about this recipe is that you can totally customize it to your flavor preference. The taco seasoning can be adapted, especially if you make it yourself. You can amp up the heat with extra chili powder or a spicy salsa. You can also play with different flavors of salsa. For example, a peach or mango salsa will give you a sweeter taste. This easy pineapple salsa is a great flavor to try out for summer!
How long will chicken tacos stay fresh?
Baked rotisserie chicken tacos will stay fresh in your fridge for about 3-4 days. This recipe is great if you need to use up leftover rotisserie chicken you’ve already had sitting in your refrigerator as well!
What should I serve with chicken tacos?
Honestly, you can serve these tacos all on their own! However, if you’re looking to really complete your meal, you can never go wrong with black beans and rice. I’m a fan of this quick and Easy Cilantro Lime Rice (it tastes just like Chipotle without having to go out!). Refried beans are also a great option.
Craving more South of the border inspired dishes?
- Cheesy Taco Pinwheels
- Frito Corn Salad
- Cheesy Dorito Chicken Casserole
- The Very Best Chicken Enchiladas
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
For more easy dessert recipes, follow us on Instagram and Facebook.
Get the Recipe: Baked Rotisserie Chicken Taco Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 cups rotisserie chicken breast, shredded
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 12 hard taco shells
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup Cojita cheese, crumbled
- baking dish
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the onion. Cook until softened, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the chicken, taco seasoning and salsa. Stir to combine.
- Arrange the taco shells in a baking dish and divide the chicken evenly between each taco shell.
- Sprinkle each with the Mexican blend cheese and bake for 12 minutes.
- Top with the cilantro and Cojita cheese.
- Serve with sour cream, lime and more salsa, if desired.