Homemade Pickle Relish
Homemade Pickle Relish is tangy, crunchy, a little sweet and SO much better than the store-bought stuff! Top off your hot dogs or bratwursts with the best pickle relish when you make this quick and easy recipe. And when you make relish at home, you don’t include any unnecessary dyes, syrups, or other additives.
Homemade Pickle Relish
Stop using pickle relish from the store! I promise, your hot dogs deserve so much better than that. Homemade relish is the real deal. Cornichons (mini pickles) are chopped and mixed with ingredients like white onions, red bell peppers, apple cider vinegar and pickling spice to make the BEST relish! It’s crunchy, tangy, a little bit sweet from some honey and is seriously satisfying on a hot dog.
Backyard barbecues and cookouts are popular during the summer, so why not make yours the best it can be with all homemade ingredients? I also love making this relish, jarring it, and handing it out to friends and neighbors as a cute little summertime gift. If you do the same, just be ready to share this recipe once your friend had tried this stuff! It’s the gift that keeps on giving.
This pickle relish recipe is also super quick and easy. It’s even easier if you have a food processor! If you don’t, you can always chop everything by hand, but it may take some extra time. A recipe that takes just minutes to prepare and stays fresh in the fridge for up to a week? This stuff is seriously the best! You’ll love having it ready to go in your fridge for your next cookout.
How to Make Homemade Pickle Relish
This easy pickle relish recipe comes together in just a few easy steps!
- Prepare the pickles. Drain the cornichons and save half of the brine. Then, finely chop them into small pieces.
- Add the other veggies. Chop up the onions and bell peppers and add them to a bowl with the chopped pickles.
- Make the brine. Whisk together the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Refrigerate. Place the pickle mixture into a jar and pour the vinegar mixture over it to fully submerge. Close the lid, then chill in the fridge for at least half an hour.
What’s in pickle relish?
Here are the simple ingredients you’ll need for this relish recipe:
- Cornichons – Unfamiliar with this term? It just means small pickles! You can find them at any major grocery store.
- Onion – I recommend using white onions over any other color.
- Bell Pepper – Red bell peppers give the relish a nice pop of color. You can use another color if you’d like, like yellow or orange.
- Salt – I highly recommend using kosher salt, not iodized! A teaspoon of kosher salt actually has less salt than a teaspoon of iodized salt. Kosher salt will enhance the other flavors, while iodized might make everything taste too salty.
- Vinegar – Apple cider vinegar is best since it’s a little tangy and sweet.
- Honey – For the best flavor, try to use a good quality honey. Local honey is always best if you can find some!
- Pickling Spice – This can also be found at most grocery stores in the spice aisle. It really solidifies that classic pickled relish flavor!
In an airtight container in the fridge, pickle relish will stay fresh for up to 1 week. When you grab some, make sure you use a very clean spoon! Any new bacteria that’s introduced to the relish will make it spoil quickly.
I don’t recommend freezing pickle relish.
Complete your cookout with these essential recipes!
Get the Recipe: Easy Pickle Relish Recipe
- 13.5 ounce jar Cornichons or gerkins
- 1/2 white onion, finely diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- Pickling spice
- 1 saucepan
- Drain the cornichons and reserve ½ the brine.
- Finely chop the cornichons or gerkins and place in a bowl.
- Add the onion and bell pepper to the bowl. Stir to combine.
- Whisk together the salt, vinegar, honey and pickling spice in a small bowl.
- Transfer the pickle mixture to a jar with a tight fitting lid and pour the vinegar mixture to cover. Add the reserved brine, if needed.
- Close with the lid and store in the refrigerator for 30 minutes minimum.
- Use to top your favorite hot dogs, hamburgers and more!
Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.