Disclaimer: A huge thank you to Hebrew National for sponsoring this post. As always, all opinions and statements are my own.
Homemade Ketchup is easier to make than you think…just a few minutes of hands on time and you have one amazing condiment that will put your hot dogs over the top!
Who’s ready for the Fourth of July? It’s one of my favorite holidays…so much so that I held a small celebration just to kick off the festivities. And I’m not the only one….my hometown, Philadelphia, started the party early as well, today. It’s a pretty big deal….the Philly celebration is where you want to be….I mean, it’s where it all started. Independence. And the Tall Ships sailed in today to add to the excitement. It’s going to be a pretty amazing week.
So…I fired up the grill, again…and threw on some Hebrew National All Beef Franks. They’re my favorite of all the dogs because they always deliver that perfect snap when you bite into one. And they go so well with my Homemade Ketchup. The tangy, sweet, tart flavor on top of a hot, juicy dog in a soft roll, it just screams summer to me. Served with my favorite Smashed Potato Salad and The Very Best Macaroni Salad, you have the most American meal of all time. Enjoy it while watching the fireworks and listening to some tunes inspired by our great country. I created my own playlist of some of my favorites that include:
- Lenny Kravitz – American Woman (My fav!)
- Bruce Springsteen – Born in the USA (of course!)
- Madonna – American Life
- Tom Petty – American Girl
- Neil Diamond – America (This song gets me every time)
- Don McLean – American Pie (This reminds me…I need to share my Apple Pie with you all.)
- David Bowie – Young Americans (Maybe not the most patriotic…but I love it and it has American in the title)
So, now that you have the playlist, your Hebrew National dogs, your homemade ketchup, your hot dog bar complete with NY Style Onions…all you need is a frosty cool beverage. And I have just the one….this Strawberry Sweet Tart Slushy will take you back to your childhood with one slurp. It’s boozy…but you can leave the booze out if you want…or add more. It’s your party. All I insist upon is making this Homemade Ketchup because it will blow away any commercial ketchup you ever tried. It’s so simple to make and is just perfect on top of a grilled Hebrew National All Beef Frank.
And don’t forget dessert….this Grilled S’mores Pizza will BLOW.YOUR.MIND. I kid you not.
Ketchup is amazing on everything, so whip up this homemade ketchup!
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 32- ounce can whole plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over med-high heat. Add the onion and cook until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the spices and tomato paste. Continue to cook until the tomato paste is a deep burgundy color (cook until almost to the point of burning….trust me.) Carefully pour the tomatoes into the pot (nothing splashes like tomatoes in a hot pan.) Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Add the sugar and vinegar. Turn the heat to low and allow to simmer for 50 minutes to an hour until thickened, stirring frequently to prevent scorching. Remove the pot from the heat and allow to cool. Transfer the mixture to a blender and puree until smooth. Pour the mixture into an airtight container and chill for 3-4 hours. Refrigerate until ready to use.
What makes a Hebrew National kosher hot dog premium? It’s all about what makes the cut (And what doesn’t). We’re choosy about what goes into our franks – we use only premium cuts of 100% kosher beef from the front half of the cow and then choose the best from that. No artificial flavors, colors, fillers or by-products. When your hot dog is Kosher, that’s a hot dog you can trust! For more summer fun with Hebrew Na1onal, visit facebook.com/hebrewnational.