How to Make Homemade Tortilla Chips
Easy and crisp, Homemade Tortilla Chips are simple to make with just a couple ingredients. Corn tortillas fried until crisp and dusted with a sprinkling of salt. A great addition to any party, you’ll never buy a bag of chips from the store again.
I may have told you before how I hated Mexican food….but you may also be new here so I’ll tell you again (or for the first time, if you’re new….and welcome! I’m glad you’re here!) I was a Mexican food shunner. Is that a word? It doesn’t matter….what matters is that I wouldn’t touch any Mexican food.
Nothing….and I wasn’t much of a fan of tacos either. I KNOW! The horror! I think the problem began with a bad Taco Bell experience, I can’t exactly pin the timing down to one incident but now that I think about it….that was really all I had to base my Mexican food knowledge on. So, I guess you can understand why I wasn’t much of a fan.
Fast forward many, many years to when I was expecting my son and the craving for something super spicy haunted me daily. Like nachos loaded with jalapeños or super fiery salsa or enchiladas…even though I thought I didn’t like enchiladas.
So, my husband did what any good husband would do and took me to the local Mexican restaurant (that is not fancy in any way…shape…or form) to satisfy one of my cravings. As soon as we were seated, we were greeted with a bowl of “fresh from the fryer” tortilla chips. Homemade Tortilla Chips lightly sprinkled with salt. Crispy and crunchy with an obvious corn flavor. THIS is what I was missing….THIS was real deal Mexican food.
Homemade Tortilla Chips
I doubt, if you’re here, you don’t know what a tortilla chip is BUT, just in case….it’s a crispy, crunchy snack chip made from corn tortillas that’s fried until golden brown. Sprinkled with salt, they’re terribly addicting.
If you’ve never made them at home before, you’re in for a real treat because there’s nothing quite like a homemade tortilla chip from scratch! And they’re incredibly easy to make in just a matter of minutes.
How to Make Them
It’s super simple to make homemade tortilla chips with just a couple ingredients and about 10 minutes. Freshly made tortilla chips are something special, really, and you may never go back to store bought chips again.
To start, heat the oil to 375˚F. You can check the temperature with an instant read or infrared thermometer OR place a piece of tortilla in the hot oil to test. If the tortilla sizzles immediately, your oil is hot enough.
Cut your tortillas into wedges. You can do this however you like, I cut mine into 8 wedges.
Line a plate or platter with paper towels to soak up some of the oil when they’re done cooking.
Drop a few tortilla triangles into the hot oil being sure they’re not overlapping. Cook for about 2 minutes until they’re crispy and golden brown.
Using a slotted spoon or spider, transfer the chips to the paper towels and sprinkle immediately with salt.
Repeat with the remaining tortillas until all the chips have been cooked.
How Long Do They Keep
Homemade Tortilla Chips will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days stored at room temperature. I usually transfer to a zip top bag and, believe me, they won’t last long in my house.
BUT if you do find your chips are still around on day 4, they can tend to get a little soft.
To reheat tortilla chips, simply preheat your oven to 400˚F and bake the tortilla chips on a baking sheet in a single layer for about 2-3 minutes or until crispy. Serve immediately.
Tips for Perfect Chips
- Tortillas – Extra thin corn tortillas work best for this tortilla chip recipe because they fry up extra crispy. If you can’t find extra thin tortillas, regular tortillas will work but you may need to fry for an extra minute.
- Oil – Canola or peanut oil is the preferred oil for frying tortilla chips. Don’t use olive oil because it can burn and will taste rancid at that point.
- Salt – I like to use a fine salt, like popcorn salt, to season my chips. You can use sea salt, kosher salt or regular table salt and totally adjust the seasoning to fit your own taste.
- BAKE – We’re not baking the tortilla chips, but for extra crispy tortilla chips…make sure your tortillas are a little dried out by baking them for 5 minutes in a 350˚F oven. This will help remove some moisture making them fry up even crispier.
- BEST TIP EVER – Before transferring your tortilla chips to the paper towel after frying, season the paper towel with salt, too! This will ensure that all sides of your tortilla chips have been seasoned and not just the top.
I, first, shared my love for Homemade Tortilla Chips a few years ago here with these amazing Cumin Spiced Chips but what everyone needs is a good basic Homemade Tortilla Chip to use as their base for nachos and to deliver fresh salsa and guacamole into their mouth. Right?
Or this easy Cowboy Caviar is fantastic with these chips…..like totally, you can’t stop eating, amazing.
So, here it is….just oil….corn chips….and a bit of salt. And you have one seriously addicting snack. And a craving for enchiladas….am I right?
Get the Recipe: How to Make Homemade Tortilla Chips
- 20 fresh corn tortillas, cut into quarters
- canola oil
- 1 cup kosher salt
- Heat about 1 1/2 inches of oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat until 350 degrees.
- Cooking in batches, add 3-4 tortillas and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Using tongs, flip the tortillas and fry for an additional 1 minute or until they're golden brown and crisp.
- Transfer to a plate lined with several paper towels and sprinkle with the kosher salt. Repeat until all the tortillas are fried and seasoned.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 24 hours at room temperature.