Hummus Avocado Toast
Hummus Avocado Toast is the perfect protein-packed breakfast, light lunch, or snack to really hit the spot! Hearty bread is topped with smooth hummus, avocado slices, hard boiled eggs, and alfalfa sprouts. Don’t forget to drizzle some balsamic glaze on top to make this toast as delicious as it is nutritious!
Hummus Avocado Toast
We’ve now lived in the age of avocado toast for about a decade, and it’s obvious that this “trend” isn’t going away anytime soon… And I’m thrilled about that! However, the same old bread topped with smashed avocado and the occasional fried egg just doesn’t excite me anymore.
So, I thought I’d bulk it up with some hummus and hard boiled eggs, and now I’ll never go back to the plain Jane stuff again!
This healthy toast recipe is seriously satisfying. I mean, it’s so good that I can usually make myself get out of bed early in the morning by reminding myself that I have all of the ingredients to make it.
It’s pretty simple – hearty bread slices are topped with hummus, avocado, alfalfa sprouts, and hard boiled eggs. It’s so protein-packed that I stay full until lunch, which is always nice.
What really ties this recipe together is the drizzle of balsamic reduction on top. I mean, it really makes my mouth water to just think about it!
The fresh flavors of the other ingredients are so perfectly complimented by the sweet, yet subtle balsamic glaze. Feel free to drizzle a little more than what I have pictured here… I usually go overboard with my drizzle!
How to Make Hummus Avocado Toast
You’ll love how quickly and easily this toast is assembled. It’s ideal for lazy early mornings and fast-paced lunch breaks alike!
- Toast it. Obviously, you can’t have a toast recipe without first toasting your bread until it’s golden and crisp!
- Assemble the toppings. Spread the hummus on the toast first. Then, arrange the avocado slices on the hummus, followed by the alfalfa sprouts and grated hard boiled egg. Drizzle with olive oil, then balsamic glaze. Sprinkle with salt and pepper right on top.
Tips for the Best Hummus Avocado Toast
- Don’t make it ahead of time. The moisture from the hummus, avocado, olive oil and balsamic glaze will make your toast soggy if it sits for too long. It’s best to enjoy this toast as soon as it’s been assembled!
- Grate the eggs. You could just chop up the hard boiled eggs, but the consistency is SO much better here if you grate it! Just use a cheese grater to achieve this. Oh, and try making Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs to save some time!
- Pick the right hummus for you. If you already have a favorite hummus brand, use it here! That way, you know it’ll taste just right. Feel free to switch up the flavors – roasted red pepper, garlic, plain, or whatever other hummus seems delicious to you. It’ll all work well here… Except maybe not chocolate hummus! We love using our homemade hummus for this recipe.
- Make sure your avocado is ripe. Avocados are notorious for being a little difficult. Too soft and it’s already bad, too hard and it’s not quite ripe. Give your avocados a gentle squeeze before slicing to figure out if it’s good to use!
Is Hummus Avocado Toast healthy?
I always find questions like this one tricky because everyone’s definition of “healthy” is different! What’s good for your body might not be great for someone else’s. However, I can say that this easy recipe is loaded with protein, vitamins, and nutrients that I personally love. The alfalfa sprouts, avocado, and hummus all bring something nutritious to the table!
Start your day with more of my favorite fresh recipes!
Get the Recipe: Hummus Avocado Toast with Grated Egg
- 2 slices hearty bread
- 1/4 cup hummus
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- 1/2 cup alfalfa sprouts or other fresh sprout
- 2 hard boiled eggs, grated on a box grater
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic glaze
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 toaster
- Toast the bread until golden.
- Place the bread on a plate and spread each slice with 1/2 the hummus.
- Arrange the avocado slices evenly on top of the toast and sprinkle with alfalfa sprouts.
- Top with the grated hard boil egg and drizzle with the olive oil.
- Drizzle the balsamic glaze over the toast.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately