The Best Avocado Toast
Avocado Toast is a brunch staple that can be made in so many different ways! This classic breakfast recipe can be dressed up however you’d like and this recipe include just a few of my favorites. You’ll never want to overpay for brunch again once you’ve tried these easy avocado toast toppings!
Good morning! Or is it afternoon? Either way, brunch is probably my favorite time of day, and that’s because of the food and drinks. When you go out to brunch, there are always the same staples you see on the menu. Of all the classic brunch staples, I think avocado toast might just be my favorite! When you have a good sturdy piece of bread piled high with fresh avocados, you just can’t go wrong.
Here’s the thing. I like to dress my avocado toast up a little bit! When you make this easy breakfast recipe at home, you have the wiggle room for creativity. You can sweeten the toast with berries, make it more protein packed with an egg, add a sprinkle of flaky sea salt to really make your mouth water… The list truly goes on and on! I’ve included some of my favorite variants below, and you can look at the pictures to get a better idea of what I mean.
It’s kind of ridiculous (and almost laughable if it wasn’t so sad) to see the prices listed next to avocado toast at most restaurants. What you’re really paying for is the fact that you don’t have to make the dish yourself, right? With that being said, avocado toast is probably one of the quickest and easiest breakfast recipes you can make! Just toast your bread, slice your avocado, top however you’d like and enjoy!
How to Make Avocado Toast
Here are the basic steps on how to assemble avocado toast. For more options on different toppings to try out, keep on scrolling!
- Toast. Toast your bread until golden and crisp.
- Prepare the avocado. Slice it in half and remove the pit. Scoop the avocado out of the peel and place it in a bowl.
- Smash and spread. Smash the avocado with a fork and add salt and lemon juice. Spread the avocado all over the toast.
Variations to Try
Check out these different delicious ways you can dress up your homemade avocado toast!
- Everything Bagel: Sprinkle some everything bagel seasoning on your avocado toast for a crunchy, flavorful kick!
- Eggs and Bacon: Crumbled bits of bacon and a fried egg just seriously elevated your avocado toast. Serve this version with some hot honey to really make it the best it can be!
- Caprese: This is a great one for summertime! Sliced cherry tomatoes, fresh chopped basil, olive oil, balsamic glaze and parmesan make your avocado toast so very fresh.
- Strawberry Parmesan: Another summertime favorite. Sliced strawberries, parmesan, hot honey and chopped cilantro create the best vibrant flavor.
- Spicy Sprouts: This is such a fun and unique way to make avocado toast! Sprinkle on some sprouts, furikake, and add a drizzle of sriracha to turn up the heat.
How can I tell if my avocados are ripe?
Give them a gentle squeeze. A fresh, ripe avocado should have a little give to it but not be mushy. If it’s too hard, it’s not quite ripe yet. Too soft and it’s over ripe. I recommend buying a few extra avocados, just in case one or two of the ones you try to use for your toast aren’t up to par!
Enjoy more of my favorite easy brunch recipes!
Get the Recipe: Avocado Toast Recipe
- 2 slices of hearty bread, Sourdough, brioche and multi-grain are a few of our favorites
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 sharp knife
- Toast the bread unit golden and crisp.
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit.
- Scoop out the avocado flesh using a large spoon and place in a bowl. Sprinkle with the salt and lemon juice.
- Smash the avocado with a fork until almost smooth (we like our’s on the chunky side.)
- Spread the avocado on top of the toast and enjoy as is or top with any of the suggested topping in the above post.