Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Rich, creamy ice cream infused with mint and filled with chocolate chips. No added dyes or artificial flavorings, this is the Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream of your dreams. (and mine!) So, let’s kick off summer with this chilly treat!
You wanna know something I hate. Green mint chocolate chip ice cream. It’s not green by nature….I know the color screams mint but seriously, we’re all big boys and girls. I think we can all figure out that mint is green but it doesn’t necessarily turn food green. Right? And we all know how the ice cream manufacturers’ made it green and I don’t want artificial coloring in my food. Or artificial flavoring.
And so…..I came up with this method for making my ice cream minty and dreamy. Now….I have to warn you…this is true mint flavor. It’s an herby, fresh mint taste because the leaves are steeped in the cream for a period of time before you churn it into the best ice cream on the planet. I use this same method for my Coffee Ice Cream and it’s been a hit on the internet ever since! This is the only way you’ll ever get the true, clean flavors out of your favorite foods without adding fake stuff the mix. These are the flavors I would expect in any house made restaurant ice cream, earthy, deep, decadent and rich.
Be sure to use the best quality chocolate you can find, it really makes a difference and always use fresh mint. If you need some, let me know because I accidentally grew a mint field in my yard. YES….in.my.yard. So, the story goes….I moved into my house on the first day of summer last year and it was too late to plant much of anything. I decided I would settle on an herb garden and I wanted it big! My basil looked amazing and my mint was perfect. Fast forward 10 months later and my mint came back with a vengeance. That and the chives are fighting for supreme grand champion of the herb garden. I knew they needed to be contained but I wanted to have a lot of herbs so I skirted the rules and now I’m picking mint out of my grass. (Shhh, don’t tell the hubby.)
Moral of the story is….contain your crazy herbs like mint and chives. AND make this Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, it will be a hit at your next backyard barbecue or poolside picnic! I’ll bring the ice cream cones! 🙂
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup loosely packed mint leaves no stems
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 large egg yolks
- 4 ounces good quality semi-sweet chocolate cut into small chips
- In a large saucepan, add the milk, cream and mint. Bring the mixture to a simmer over med-low heat and then turn the heat off. Let the mixture steep for 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl and return to the saucepan. Add 3/4 cup of the sugar and bring to a simmer, whisking occasionally to dissolve the sugar.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the remaining sugar and egg yolks until the mixture is slightly thickened and light in color. Slowly, add 1/4 cup of the milk mixture to the eggs while whisking constantly. Continue adding the milk to the egg mixture 1/4 cup at a time until all the ingredients are combined.
- Prepare and ice bath in a large bowl and place a medium bowl in the ice bath. Place a fine mesh stainer over the bowl.
- Transfer the cream mixture to a large saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom and sides with a heatproof spatula until the custard thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Strain the custard into the bowl and allow to cool.
- Refrigerate the custard until cold or overnight.
- Pour the custard into the freezer can of an electric ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. When the ice cream is the consistency of soft serve, add the chocolate chips and allow to blend. Transfer to an airtight storage container and freeze.