Pumpkin Pasta with Sausage and Sage // Video
A festive dinner that’s ready in a snap. Pumpkin Pasta with Sausage and Sage is a quick and easy dinner that’s great for busy weeknights but impressive enough for entertaining. Creamy pumpkin puree, sage and sausage comes together brilliantly to create the perfect pasta dish.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #FamilyPastaTime #CollectiveBias
Happy Monday, everyone! I hope you all had a fantastic weekend. Last week was a little rough so I took a quick trip to the beach to refresh my mind and spend some time with family. We walked on the beach, collected shells…some still had residents living in them and wandered through the dunes. We even channeled our inner tourists by taking an evening carriage ride through Cape May. If you’re ever lucky enough to visit Cape May, NJ….definitely take a carriage ride. The town is chock full of little nuggets of history I’ve been totally oblivious to all these years I’ve been visiting. Many of the original buildings still stand and are occupied by the spirits of the original owners. It was an extra chilly night and definitely reminded us all that winter is near.
But it’s ok because along with the cooler temps and shorter days come bulky sweaters and comfort meals. Things like mac and cheese, meatloaf and skillet pastas. Easy dinners that warm you from the inside out like this super easy Pumpkin Pasta with Sausage and Sage.
Pumpkin Pasta with Sausage and Sage couldn’t be simpler to make either and it’s loaded with good for you ingredients like pure pumpkin puree, fresh herbs and chicken sausage. All of the flavors just get all happy in the pan before tossing with the cooked pasta and you can use any variety pasta you like. I love to use Barilla Penne and Rotini because the sauce gets stuck in all the nooks making each bite super flavorful. Plus, Barilla pasta cooks perfectly every single time and provides the balanced nutrition families need to live a healthy, delicious lifestyle.
And since I’m at Target almost daily….I purchased all the ingredients for my Pumpkin Pasta with Sausage and Sage while I was loading up on Christmas lights and Halloween candy. I’m a multi-tasker when it comes to my holiday planning. So, when I’m decking the halls and realize it’s almost dinner time, I love that I can whip up this easy dinner in about 20 minutes flat!
Pumpkin Pasta with Sausage and Sage is also a great meal idea for last minute dinner guests or easy entertaining. Just serve with a festive fall salad and you have one perfect showstopper of a meal. Easy peasy. You can even save 20% off your next purchase of Barilla Pronto pasta at Target with this Cartwheel offer! Hurry though, the offer ends on 11/26!
Get the Recipe: Pumpkin Pasta with Sausage and Sage
- 1 pound Barilla Blue Box Penne pasta
- 1 pound bulk chicken sausage, or links with casing removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped sweet onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, optional, can be replaced with 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded asiago cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown the sausage over med-high heat while breaking up with a fork. When the sausage is no longer pink, transfer the sausage to a bowl using a slotted spoon. Pour off any remaining fat.
- Return the pan to the heat and add the olive oil.
- Stir in the onions and cook until softened, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the sage and cook for an additional 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the wine to the pan and deglaze by scraping up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Reduce the wine by half.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the pumpkin puree, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt until smooth.
- Add the cream and stir to combine.
- Return the sausage and pasta to the pan tossing to coat.
- Stir in the asiago cheese.
- Serve immediately topped with parmesan and parsley, if desired.