It’s time to re-imagine what Ricotta Toast can be! Hearty bread topped with whipped ricotta cheese can be deliciously dressed up in so many ways. Make it sweet, savory, or something in between. You can enjoy it as a light lunch, serve it as an appetizer, or eat it for breakfast. So many possibilities!
Move over, avocado toast – there’s a new toast in town that’s stealing all the attention! Ricotta toast is so much more fun that you may think. Basically, you just have to whip up ricotta cheese with some olive oil, honey, and seasonings until you get the perfect smooth consistency. Spread it on a toasted piece of hearty bread and top it off to your hearts desire.
You can get SO creative here, it’s wild! That’s honestly why I kind of prefer making ricotta toast over avocado toast these days. There’s just so much more room for creativity with the toppings. Make it sweet, savory, for lunch, as an appetizer, or for breakfast… the possibilities are truly endless. You can dress it up for any season as well by using what’s fresh.
If you keep scrolling down a little bit you can see some of my favorite variations to try. However, there are many more toppings you could play around with! I’d love to hear what worked best for you (and to give me ideas for my own plate), so definitely comment and let me know what you liked best. With strawberries in season right now, I’ve been enjoying them with a solid drizzle of honey on my toast.
How to Make Ricotta Toast
It’s so easy to make this crowd pleaser! For more precise directions and measurements, scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of this page.
- Prepare the ricotta. Add the ricotta, honey and olive oil to a blender. Blend until combined. Season with just a little bit of salt and pepper to taste.
- Enjoy! Spread the ricotta cheese all over some hearty pieces of toasted bread. I like to let the bread cool off for a few minutes just so the ricotta doesn’t melt. Top with whatever you’d like, and enjoy!
PRO TIP: For the very best flavor, use homemade ricotta cheese! (It’s so easy to make).
Toppings to Try
Here are just a few of my favorite toppings for ricotta toast:
- Berries – Strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, cranberries – they’re all wonderful when piled high atop some whipped ricotta!
- Apples – Sliced honeycrisp apples are my favorite, but really any apples you like best will pair perfectly with the toast. If you go with apple slices, consider a dusting of cinnamon as well.
- Nuts/Seeds – You can even use some candied pecans or candied walnuts for some added sweetness to go with that crunch.
- Caprese – Enjoy the best flavors of summer with some cherry tomatoes, fresh basil and balsamic reduction.
- Christmas – Feeling festive? Top off your toast with pomegranate arils or cranberries with some rosemary.
- Honey – With almost every variation listed here (besides the caprese), honey makes the perfect accompaniment. Drizzle on a lot or a little! You could also try hot honey for even more flavor.
- Fresh Herbs – Cilantro, parsley, mint, basil… The list goes on!
- Avocado – We’ve almost come full circle right back to avocado toast! Avocado slices pair deliciously with whipped ricotta. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to really send it over the top.
Can I make it ahead of time?
Here’s the deal – ricotta toast is one of those things that’s best enjoyed nice and fresh. As soon as you have the ricotta whipped and the toast assembled, serve right away and enjoy! If you do need to whip the ricotta ahead of time, you can keep it stored in an airtight container in the fridge for about 1 day before using.
Enjoy more of my favorite ricotta recipes!
- Honey Ricotta Peach Crostini
- Lemon Ricotta Pasta
- Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Shells
- Ricotta Ice Cream Filled Cannoli
Get the Recipe: Ricotta Toast Recipe
- 1 cup whole milk or part skim ricotta
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 slices hearty bread, toasted
- Sliced Strawberries
- Assorted berries, sliced bananas
- Chopped nuts
- Herbs like mint, basil, cilantro
- Fried egg
- Hot honey
- Balsamic glaze
- Chili crunch
- Sautéed mushrooms
- Sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1 toaster
- 1 hand mixer
- In the bowl of a food process, add the ricotta, honey and olive oil. Blend until combined (can be done by hand with a whisk.)
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the ricotta on toast and top with your favorite toppings.
- Serve immediately.