Chocolate Root Beer Float Poke Cake
What could be better than a root beer float? How about a Chocolate Root Beer Float Poke Cake? Tender, moist chocolate cake is soaked in a root beer concentrate then topped with root beer spiked pudding and a fluffy whipped cream. So easy to make and a dream to eat.
I love nostalgic food….my whole purpose in life, I think, is to create memories with the food I share with friends and families. This time of year is especially wonderful for creating new food memories and traditions. Like poke cakes. Have you ever had a poke cake? I remember eating them at potlucks and family dinners. They’re absolutely amazing and so easy to make. If you’ve never had a poke cake, let me fill you in on the whole science behind creating one.
First you bake a cake, just a regular cake…whatever floats your boat…in this case, we will be making a Chocolate Root Beer Float Poke Cake. So, we bake our cake…then we poke holes in the top with a wooden spoon. Lots and lots of holes. THEN you drench the cake with a healthy dose of root beer that’s been cooked down a bit to create a concentrate. Next…you pour pudding on your cake and it seeps down into all those holes. Last, top with your whipped cream. Pretty simple and you can see how the cake would just be a marvel at any party.
The idea for the Root Beer Float Poke Cake came to me while shopping at Target. I’m there every day. Every.Single.Day. I love it there. And with all of the holiday decorations, it’s just a happy, joyful place to be. With root beer….this A&W TEN® Root Beer that only has TEN calories per serving! It’s perfect for recipes like this cake but it’s also amazing by itself or to create a classic root beer float.
And to make things even sweeter…from Nov 16 – Dec 12, (5) $100 Target GiftCards™ will be given away each week to those who upload an Instagram, Facebook or Twitter photo showing how they #BrighTENtheSeasonSweepstakes. All winners must be at least 18 years old. They also have some killer deals to help you save money on your purchase, I used my coupons to load up on Canada Dry® Tonic for my holiday cocktail making!
▪ Cartwheel offer:
- 30% off 12pack of Canada Dry TEN®, 7UP TEN®, A&W TEN®, Sunkist® TEN™ Soda
- 10% off 8pack 12oz bottles of Canada Dry®, 7UP®, A&W®, Sunkist® Soda and more
So….what are you waiting for??? Enter to win and rush off to Target to grab a couple of bottles of A&W TEN® Root Beer to share with your family and friends during the holiday season. Perfect for parties, especially ones that serve things like Chocolate Root Beer Float Poke Cakes, Pad Thai Wontons and piles of THESE nachos. I would never leave that party. Well, until the food is gone at least.
Want more inspiration with your favorite TEN drinks? Find more ideas from these perfect holiday moments.
Get the Recipe: Root Beer Float Poke Cake
- 1 - 15.25 ounce package Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 3 1/4 cups A&W TEN® Root Beer, divided
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 3.4 ounce package instant vanilla pudding
- 2 cups cold whole milk
- 1 8 ounce container whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, beat the cake mix, 1 1/4 cup of the A&W TEN® Root Beer, oil and eggs until well blended. Transfer to a 9 inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Using the end of a wooden spoon, poke holes all over the top of the cake. Allow the cake to cool to room temperature. While the cake is cooling, pour 1 cup of A&W TEN® Root Beer into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Continue boiling until the mixture has reduced by half. Pour the A&W TEN® Root Beer over the cake and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the pudding, milk and remaining A&W TEN® Root Beer until it begins to thicken. Pour the pudding mixture over the cake and transfer to the refrigerator for 15 minutes so the pudding can set. Once the pudding has set, spread the whipped topping over the cake. Transfer to the refrigerator to chill until ready to serve.