Santa Rice Krispie Treats
So fun to make, Santa Rice Krispie Treats are the perfect way to kick off the holiday season. Simple to create, Rice Krispie Treats are dipped in chocolate, sprinkles and coconut for a flavorful sweet treat the kids will LOVE to make.
And it’s over….Thanksgiving is now behind us and the Christmas season is now upon us. Happy Black Friday, everyone! Who went out shopping today? Or at midnight? It was really nice to see more stores closed on Thanksgiving this year while we were driving back from my parent’s house in Lancaster County. It reminded me of Thanksgiving when I was young….when you had to plan ahead because even the gas stations were closed. But I can hardly believe Christmas is right around the corner when I feel like it was just Christmas a couple months ago. And, I have to tell you, I’ve been waiting all year to share a couple recipes with you that I made LAST December for a last minute Fox 29 segment on Christmas Eve. I shared a few kid-friendly treats that day, including these Snowman Marshmallow Hot Cocoa Toppers. I never had to time to share the two other recipes, which are quite simple so I saved them….for a whole year! And I didn’t ever get a clip so I can’t even share that with you. But take my word for it…these Santa Rice Krispie Treats will be a hit with the kids. One of the anchors even took home all of them for the party he was hosting that evening. I felt a little famous….but just for a sec.
Basically, these Santa Rice Krispie Treats are just a chocolate dipped rice krispie treat….which, now, I’m realizing I don’t even have my favorite basic rice krispie treat on this site. That will have to change soon…but in the meantime, I’ll just tell you how to make them in all of their marshmallow goodness.
To create these fun Santa Rice Krispie Treats you’ll make the treats and allow to cool. Dip each end in melted white chocolate, then red sanding sugar, shredded coconut and allow to cool again. Decorate with eyes and a red hot nose. You are now in business. They look adorable served with these Candy Cane Shortbread Cookies and a cup of hot cocoa. Here’s to a festive, fun and tasty holiday season. May all the twinkle lights begin to sparkle and snowflakes start to fly….I am ready!
Get the Recipe: Santa Rice Krispie Treats
- 5 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 10 ounce package marshmallows
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 1 10 ounce package White Chocolate Melting Wafers, I love Ghirardelli!
- 1 cup red sanding sugar
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 24 candy eyes
- 12 red hot candies
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Stir in the large marshmallow. Cook until melted and smooth, stirring to combine with the butter.
- Add in the mini marshmallows and stir until almost melted (some small lumps may remain).
- Add the cereal in a large bowl. Pour the marshmallow over the cereal and stir to combine thoroughly.
- Transfer the mixture to a buttered 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Using a spatula coated with cooking spray, press the mixture into the dish to form an even, flat layer.
- Set aside to cool.
- Cut the Rice Krispie Treats into 12 rectangles and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave dish at 30 second increments, stirring after each interval until smooth.
- Place the sanding sugar and shredded coconut each in separate bowls.
- Dip each end of the Rice Krispie Treat bar into the chocolate being careful to leave about 1 inch in the center uncoated. Dip one end of the treat bar half way into the sanding sugar and the other end into the coconut. Add more coconut to the edge of the red sanding sugar side to form the hat.
- Place the treat on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and allow to cool. Repeat with the remaining bars.
- To make the face, dip each eye in the melted chocolate and place on the bar. Dip one red hot into the chocolate and add to the bar for the nose.
- Allow the chocolate to harden before serving, approximately 30 minutes.